S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery light after new alternator and battery installed

Old 11-12-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery light after new alternator and battery installed

picked up a remanufactured alternator and a new battery, install went well, car cranks and starts as normal but there is a battery light. I plugged in my flash pro and and ran live diagnostics. No engine codes, and the alternator is maintaining voltage at between 13.9 and 14.3 depending on how what systems I'm running in the car i.e. A/C, lights etc.

took the the car out and drove around for an hour or so, starting and stoping the engine... still fine. Curious if it might be the electronics on the back on the alternator not meshing well with my car? I'm not not paying Honda prices for an Honda Alternator.

i have an 06 AP2.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Attached is the circuit diagram, with the charge light circuit circled. Click to expand.

The circuit is fairly simple. they are not complicated electronics. It may be a voltage regulator issue, or it may be a wiring issue in your car. Here's the steps to determine that:

BTW: why did you replace your alternator in the first place? Curious, as that will help troubleshoot. If you want to do some self-troubleshooting, I'll leave instructions.

Anyway, here goes.

START: Disconnect the alternator 4-pin connector, turn the ignition switch on. Does the battery light come on?

IF SO: There is a short in your wiring harness. Specifically, in the White / Blue wire in the alternator connector. End of procedure.

IF NOT: Leave the key on, measure the voltage on pin 1 on the alternator plug. Just ground it with a mutlimeter. I'll attach a pinout picture.

IF THERE IS NO VOLTAGE: The black/yellow wire to the alternator is damaged somewhere in the engine bay, there is an open circuit. End of procedure.

IF THERE IS VOLTAGE: The fault is with the new alternator and/or voltage regulator. Have an auto parts store test it. Either way, whoever you bought it from will owe you a replacement. End of procedure.

So, if you replaced your old alternator and battery due to the light, your old parts may be just fine, and you may have wiring harness damage.
Attached Thumbnails Battery light after new alternator and battery installed-altcircuit.jpg   Battery light after new alternator and battery installed-alternator.jpg  

Last edited by Spartarus; 11-13-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks I'll check into this. The car has been acting strangely lately, sometimes it starts fine other times it is difficult. Sometimes it feels like there isn't enough battery to turn it over but it does. It does this usually after I've driven it for nearly an hour which led me to believe that the alternator was possibly failing. i knocked out 2 birds with one stone but now I have a light and seemingly no other issue...