S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery down after 10 days?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery down after 10 days?

I bought a -06 S2000 in September and having problems with the battery. After a week or two of rest the battery is down under 12V and it´s problem to start.
First i thought the battery was bad so I replaced it with a new one (45 Ah) but I had the same problem again. (I have recharged the old battery and it´s OK now).
I gave my Honda-garage a call and they told me it´s normal -you have to use the car every week or you have problems. Doesn´t sound right for me!
Now the car is resting in my garage for the winter and I have disconnected the battery which means that the battery stays OK. I have connected an amp-meter between the battery and battery-cable and in stand-by-mode (everything off -no key in the car)it shows 0.06 to 0.07 Amps. Which means that it will consume around 24 Amps in two weeks and that is 50% of the battery, but it is not possible to get 45 Amps from a 45A-battery so in real the battery is more or less down.
Anyone know if this is normal or if there is something going on in the car even if it´s sleeping?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Pretty normal for a battery to lose charge without use. When storing I keep the battery unplugged from the car and plugged into a trickle charger.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,670 Posts

it shouldn' be losing that much energy that fast, I'd hazard a guess that you have a short to ground somewhere causing the excess consumption. Some people have mentioned that the light in the trunk can stay on when the trunk is closed, something like that will drain the battery. Are you married ?, if so stick your wife in the trunk and ask her to check if the light stays on , lol. j/k

Start pulling fuses one at a time until you see the power useage decline on your meter, that will inidcate the circuit where you may have an open or short in the system.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah a dead battery in 10 days is definitely not ok. My car sits for weeks often and always starts right up.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by PostVW
I bought a -06 S2000 in September and having problems with the battery. After a week or two of rest the battery is down under 12V and it´s problem to start.
First i thought the battery was bad so I replaced it with a new one (45 Ah) but I had the same problem again. (I have recharged the old battery and it´s OK now).
I gave my Honda-garage a call and they told me it´s normal -you have to use the car every week or you have problems. Doesn´t sound right for me!
Now the car is resting in my garage for the winter and I have disconnected the battery which means that the battery stays OK. I have connected an amp-meter between the battery and battery-cable and in stand-by-mode (everything off -no key in the car)it shows 0.06 to 0.07 Amps. Which means that it will consume around 24 Amps in two weeks and that is 50% of the battery, but it is not possible to get 45 Amps from a 45A-battery so in real the battery is more or less down.
Anyone know if this is normal or if there is something going on in the car even if it´s sleeping?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM

[quote name='PostVW' timestamp='1355149850' post='22200630']
[/quote

I have an 06, had the same problem, replaced the battery 2 times, never actually found out what is causing the problem, although, when I lock the car manually instead of using the remote, the battery stays charged, go figure.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
it shouldn' be losing that much energy that fast, I'd hazard a guess that you have a short to ground somewhere causing the excess consumption. Some people have mentioned that the light in the trunk can stay on when the trunk is closed, something like that will drain the battery. Are you married ?, if so stick your wife in the trunk and ask her to check if the light stays on , lol. j/k

Start pulling fuses one at a time until you see the power useage decline on your meter, that will inidcate the circuit where you may have an open or short in the system.
Stick my wife in the trunk? She doesn't even fit in the passenger seat!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What temperature are we talking about?
Low temps reduce battery charge fast!

Depending on your (hopefully fused?) amp meter: leave it connected while you open doors and trunk.
You should see the raise in amps (by the lights) and they should drop when everything is closed again.
I don't know if 60-70mA is ok for stand-by mode, it sounds like its a little too much (but I could be wrong - never measured it)

Any alarm system?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Sounds like you have a draw (something is using the battery while its sitting)

I have cars sit for months and start right up.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

what battery are you using in the S Billman??
I read all these threads and cant decide on a replacement,....I guess you cant get the oem Panasonic anymore
That one lasted 6 years, my Die Hard lasted 4 years

Quick Reply: Battery down after 10 days?