S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery died or something more complicated

Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 PM
J_J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery died or something more complicated

I was driving my car today and while it was getting dark I turned on my lights and for a second my radio cut out. I thought that was kind of weird but the car still drove fine so I didn't think too much about it.

I stopped and parked it for a while to do some stuff and then when I came home after shutting it off I remembered I needed to pick up something, so I restarted the car right after I shut off but the car was completely dead. No cranking over, no dash lights on at all...nothing. But what is weird is I can honk the horn and the hazard lights will flash if I push the button.

I don't know when the last time the battery was changed. Does this sound like a dead battery or something more complex?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 PM

Happened to me. Alternator. If you're not supercharged it's like a 40 minute job if once you actually receive the new alternator. If you're supercharged like me...sigh...quite a bit longer. lol
Old 09-12-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by J_J,Sep 12 2007, 12:11 AM
I was driving my car today and while it was getting dark I turned on my lights and for a second my radio cut out. I thought that was kind of weird but the car still drove fine so I didn't think too much about it.

I stopped and parked it for a while to do some stuff and then when I came home after shutting it off I remembered I needed to pick up something, so I restarted the car right after I shut off but the car was completely dead. No cranking over, no dash lights on at all...nothing. But what is weird is I can honk the horn and the hazard lights will flash if I push the button.

I don't know when the last time the battery was changed. Does this sound like a dead battery or something more complex?
Well it takes a lot more charge to start the car than it does to flash your hazards, so its not uncommon that you can do one but not the other.

Generally batteries last about 6 to 7 years (I guess it depends on the climate conditions and how many cold starts you do) so based on your MY, it maybe time for a new one.

Get your battery tested at your local auto parts store / garage to see if it's time for a new one. If it's healthy then consider the alternator as a culprit.

My dad's 13 year old car just had his 2nd battery replacement and my wife's '01 (6 year old) sport cute just got one as well [it didn't die, but you can hear the starter struggling when we turn the key so rather replace it sooner than later where we maybe stranded] -- so 6 years seemed to be on par
Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery life will depend on a lot of factors, though I've never seen 6-7 years on any of my cars. Here in the "South" 3-4 years seems to be average. I'm on battery #3 on a 7 year old car.