S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery corrosion.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most (if not all) conventional lead-acid batteries are vented. The gasses vent through the two recessed caps on the top of your battery. As your battery gets older, it may release more gasses while a load is being put on it.. Oxidation from the battery's positive post most commonly causes corrosion to the post/terminal/cable. I'd replace the battery along with the positive cable (should not cost $300).
Unless you have a Gel-cell battery like an Optima (personally don't recommend), or an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery like the DieHard Platinum, this is a common/normal occurrence over time/usage.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Ur cable does look a little corroded but nothing I would worry to much about for a couple months. As far as the battery being under warranty take it back and get a new one. They are gonna give u a little bit of a hard time cause they dont wanna give away a battery but if its still under warranty they have to. If u have to talk to the Service Manager to get one do it and get what they owe u! U paid for it! But the cable,again, I would replace in the near future. Also,if u can, stop cleaning the battery so when u take it to the dealer they can see whats happening.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 AM
VAD

Originally Posted by Tanquen
I have a 2000 S2000 with some battery corrosion on the positive connection. I’ve never seen this on any of my other cars and never on this one until last year. I took it I for an oil change and free inspection. They said they could not get a good reading from the battery and that the power cable needed to be replaced. So…

Why is it doing this all of a sudden? After they cleaned it the corrosion was back again in a few weeks. I went and got one of those kits with the cleaner and sealant. I used the wire brush and cleaner until it looked clean and the cleaner stopped fizzing when applied. Then I put the little ring pads on and used the sealant.

After a month or so it was back. Not as bad but still, what is up? Is the battery bad? I’m starting to think so. The new cleaner I got turns red when it contacts acid and I keep getting little bits of red around the post but I’m not sure if it leaching acid out or there are that many layers of acid laden corrosion.

Is it just too hard to remove all the corrosion and it keeps attracting more?

I get the feeling the battery is leaking and they did not say anything about as it is still on the Honda warranty and I’d most likely want a new power cable installed as the copper connection has a good deal of erosion.

If I got a new power cable would it just do the same thing? They (shockingly) want $300 for one.

You're a prime candidate for a sacrificial anode. Pennies work well because they are mostly zinc (not copper, like most people think). Zinc is much more highly reactive than the metals of the battery and connectors. It will attract the electrons that cause corrosion and keep your battery and cables clean. And it only costs $.01.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anode
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM

Thought I would bump this thread to add my recent experience.

Shortly after buying my 05 I noticed a lot of corrosion on the positive battery terminal. I took everything apart and cleaned it and applied spray type of terminal protectant afterword. A few weeks later, the corrosion was back. This time, I removed the battery and examined it closely under a bright light and found a hairline crack in the battery case next to the positive terminal.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI, that battery lead pictured from the old post is shot. The crimp is oxidized.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Replace the cable and the battery. You can replace the cable end but the corrosion will come back because it has wicked up the cable strands.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Jetronic
when battery doesnt hold charge, it starts doing that. you can either clean it with hot water and baking soda or time for new battery.
Correct