S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Battery acid.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery acid.

So I'm overdue for a new battery apparently. When I first got the car, I had noticed some white powder around the + terminal that had gotten inside the bay and also rusted the battery holder. See Fig.1

Fig.1 never mind the flux capacitor.

So upon attempting to remove the battery cable, the freakin thing broke from the corrosive mystery substance. Being short on time and money with work fast approaching the next day, I had my buddy run me to autozone to get an extra battery cable. I put the new cable on the ground terminal (as can be seen in the picture), and "spliced" the old ground cable to the broken part of the old + cable. Yeah.. splicing battery wires.

So the car started and I thought nothing of it and continued to drive to work so that I could pay off the debt for my car mods

I take a peek under the hood once every week to make sure everything is looking well, and I noticed tonight that there is more white powder of death around the battery.

SO. Tax return is IN, and I'm gonna grab me a new battery. While I'm at it, I REALLLY wanna fix the ghetto setup of my battery cables. I cant really figure out the wiring for the + cables since they split and go in 2 separate directions.

Also, any recommendation on a battery that wont leak and eat away at my parts?
Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

How about spraying some battery terminal corrosion protection on the cable ends? That will prevent the build-up you're experiencing.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO you can cover the terminals in Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (or simular) to avoid the corrosion.
Shield it from the moisture in the air.
Clean it first though.

As far as I know the white powder on a terminal is not a leaking battery but its a galvanic reaction between the lead battery terminals, the copper connectors and the moisture in the air.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 AM

cool, thanks for the tips. Are there any diagrams on how all the wires work? I wouldnt mind relocating the fuse box and making the bay look a little nicer as well as getting some better cables. I seriously got the old corroded copper end crimped around the hoop where the old ground cable bolted to the bay and wrapped in electrical tape.

I've seen a lot of wire tuck pictures, but no real DIY guides step by step with wire/cable replacing.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to get that same white powder if the terminals were not periodically cleaned and protected. No more once I switched to an Odyssey 680 battery which I highly recommend for light weight and low maintenance.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Feb 6 2010, 04:41 AM
IMO you can cover the terminals in Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (or simular) to avoid the corrosion.
Shield it from the moisture in the air.
Clean it first though.

As far as I know the white powder on a terminal is not a leaking battery but its a galvanic reaction between the lead battery terminals, the copper connectors and the moisture in the air.

thats what i did. pulled the battery out and cleaned it with baking soda + water. cleaned it up and put some vasilene (sp?) on terminals. and looks brand new

if you do this remember your radio code!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Another option besides Vaseline, is clear paint. I have been doing this for years. Get them nice and clean using whatever method you like, then spray paint them with clear paint. You need to mask off the area, and you don't need to spray it like a pro, you just need to cover all the metal at the terminals. This has been the least messy way to protect them that I have found. Vaseline is fine, but I have had it get really nasty and goo up an otherwise easy battery change.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Just dealt with something similar this past week.

I'd been noticing a re-occurring white/light green powdery substance collecting around the positive terminal and connector. It actually started to affect my battery, to where my battery was not getting a good charge. Ran by Autozone to get a new battery and see what my options were for stopping the powdery substance.

Sure enough, it's corrosion. The copper reacts with air and moisture, along with carrying a charge and results in the nasty stuff. Another thing: VERY IMPORTANT This corrosion will travel up the copper cable inside the wrapping. It starts at the terminal, but if not taken care of promptly, will eventually compromise your cable. I'm in the process now of replacing my positive cable.

The advice given already for protecting the cables are great, but that only AFTER you take care of the corrosion problem first, and then apply to clean cables.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 PM

just buy a yellow top optima!!!! be done with it!! no acid to leak!!! it drops right in.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's not acid. Clean and grease.

Quick Reply: Battery acid.