S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Basic Dead Battery Question

Old 12-23-2003, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Dead Battery Question

Hello!

I just got back from a long trip and went to start the S today and she was dead as can be. She sat from Dec. 5 through Dec. 22, and I thought it may take a try or two to start but I did not think it would be completely dead. Nothing was left on, i.e. lights, door ajar, etc.

Is this normal or should I replace the battery or recharge it?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When my crapped out after 2.5 years I just replaced it. Why spend a lot of time trying to save a $50 part that we know has a limited life.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:25 AM

if i were you , i would get me an OE battery or interstate battery.. 3 yrs is good life time for a battery. i also cranked my car up last nite after exactly a month, cranked up in a heartbeat
Old 12-23-2003, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car should not draw that much power sitting idle. Either something in the system is drawing too much power or the health of your battery is suspect. Personally I would expect a battery to last longer than 3 years, at least in my experience, but of course your mileage may vary. I would check and see how power the car system is drawing before replacing the battery.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Voodoo_S2K
Personally I would expect a battery to last longer than 3 years, at least in my experience, but of course your mileage may vary.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:04 AM

Mine use to go dead all the time when i didn't drive it for more than 2-3 weeks, mainly during the winter. I have a battery tender now, i got it at http://store.azmusa.com/battenjr12vb.html, that seems to work pretty good. Give that a try.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a quirky battery, or it is near 6 months of its death (42 months for a 48 month batt for example), I aolways recommend replacing it PRONTO? I posted in detail on this months ago, but the short deal is that the charging system is working extra hard to keep the batt alive, and it can lead to a failure of the alternator. Batts are cheap - alts are not.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the replys. I have an appt. at the dealership to fix the top (will not retract completely) and I plan to ask them to check out if there might be a possible drain elsewhere. Then I am just going to replace the battery. I will check out the S2ki vendors for the better battery.

I was just very surprised to have this happen.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:16 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

It is possible that your battery terminals don't have a good connection, resulting in your battery not charging. Even if you don't see corrosion on the terminals, they could use a cleaning. Remove the terminals, and clean up the terminals and posts with steel wool, wire brush, or a battery post cleaning tool.

A partially drained battery goes bad much faster than a battery that gets a daily charge. That's because lead sulfate crystals form when the battery charge goes down, and that blinds the lead plates in the battery. Since my S2000 is currently not my daily driver, I keep it plugged into a Battery desulfator which keeps the battery at full charge, and actually helps break up the existing sulfate crystals. There are pleny of companies making these desulfators (Pulse Tech has been around for years), but the cheapest one I've seen recently is the Battery MENDer for less than $30.00. I picked up my Battery MINDer before the MENDer came out. (http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-1206S)
Old 12-23-2003, 02:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Huskergirl, do you have an alarm or aftermarket stereo equipment?

Quick Reply: Basic Dead Battery Question