S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

bang noise from the rear

Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bang noise from the rear

lately I've been getting this bang noise coming from the rear of the car under hard braking or going up drive ways. It sounds as if I have a bowling ball pounding against the car under braking. I was thinking it could be differential mounts or the sway bar? Anybody else have this problem or know what it could be?

thanks for your time
-Tyler
Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you slammed? What sort of coilovers are you on? It almost sounds like the springs arent preloaded/no helper springs so the coils are popping and lifting/reseating/shifting. Its also possible you have stuff loose in the spare tire/tool tray area.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
are you slammed? What sort of coilovers are you on? It almost sounds like the springs arent preloaded/no helper springs so the coils are popping and lifting/reseating/shifting. Its also possible you have stuff loose in the spare tire/tool tray area.
In the rear I don't even have a finger and in the front I have a tight one finger gap. Currently on Buddy Club N+'s. The trunk is pretty much clean.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Get a sharpie or whiteout pen and mark your spring and spring perch. If the marks move away from each other then you know for sure...

by tool tray I mean the partition under the trunk - where the jack and lug wrench exists. Have you checked there? The spare tire area is that bump on the right side of the car. Are the BCs on pillow ball mounts or OEM mounts?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
Get a sharpie or whiteout pen and mark your spring and spring perch. If the marks move away from each other then you know for sure...

by tool tray I mean the partition under the trunk - where the jack and lug wrench exists. Have you checked there? The spare tire area is that bump on the right side of the car. Are the BCs on pillow ball mounts or OEM mounts?
will do that! yup the partition under the trunk is normal, everything is in its place. The BC's are on pillow ball mounts. Thanks for the help btw!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 PM

is this like a random clunk that happens sometimes when you go over bumps but it doesn't always appear?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by I<3myap1
Originally Posted by ikeyballz' timestamp='1327622909' post='21356259

will do that! yup the partition under the trunk is normal, everything is in its place. The BC's are on pillow ball mounts. Thanks for the help btw!
Nps man. I haven't had any experiences with pillow ball mounts, but a friend of mine who was on tein pillow balls said those were the cause of his noise.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by importrule
is this like a random clunk that happens sometimes when you go over bumps but it doesn't always appear?
it always happens when I go in drive ways or brake hard
Old 01-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by I<3myap1
Originally Posted by importrule' timestamp='1327623577' post='21356281
it always happens when I go in drive ways or brake hard
hmm, i guess i have a different noise from you then...

good luck on finding out what it is.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM

thanks

Quick Reply: bang noise from the rear