S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

bang, crunch, clank. Uh oh.......

Old 11-13-2003, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bang, crunch, clank. Uh oh.......

Yesterday morning, I pulled out of the gas station and heard a single thump sound from under my car - like I drove over a rock hitting the underside of my car. Immediately after that, I heard a click/bang sound that seemed to occur once with every revolution of the rear wheels. This did not go away with speed, but seemed to quieten down when I put my foot on the clutch. I thought I picked up a stick or a rock and as there was nowhere safe to stop, I kept driving to work which was less than 1000 ft down the road.

Last night, I am leaving work, I turn onto the service drive and get another click/bang - this time, louder. Now, my car started making an even louder continual and more frequently occurring banging sound, kind of like the sound made when someone spins a prize wheel - but way louder and deeper in tone. It increases in intensity with speed. My car was also down on power. When I first start moving from a complete stop, I can feel the car hesitating like it is trying to 'rock/creep' over an obstacle. When I depress the clutch pedal, the sound quietens a little, but does not disappear. It is apparent that something is seriously wrong with my car now. Looked under the car and couldn't see any sign of loose parts or damage.

This morning, I got in my car to take it to the dealer. I turn out of my subdivision, get about 60 feet and then "BANG, CRUNCH, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP....". The car will move forward, but very painfully and it sounds like, "kerthump, kerthump, kerthump".......no way to get anywhere at speed. Can't do any more than 2mph. I decided to have it towed. This damage is obviously crippling.

Flatbed comes and we get it on the bed. Geez, that tow hook idea on the S2000 is great!!! Car will roll easily in neutral - no binding.

History of my car: New in January 2001. Used as Daily driver.
Motor is stock with the exception of a JR filter
Replaced clutch per TSB
Replaced half shafts under warranty due to worn CV joints
Reported synchro 'grinding' problems (2nd gear predominantly) at the time half shalfs were replaced. Nothing done about that to date.
Current miles: 29,195.

Has anybody had this happen to them? I don't drag race, don't do clutch dumps and rev match on every downshift. What could be the problem? I take it is covered under warranty? How long to repair?

Can the dealer do anything to shirk out of their/Honda's responsibility to repair the vehicle? They said it might be the clutch, but the clutch was not slipping/vibrating at all prior to my problems that just surfaced.

Many thanks in advance for any diagnosis/suggestions/sympathy!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:49 AM

i have a feeling your diff. is toast. did you ever change out the fluid?
Old 11-13-2003, 10:59 AM

no, not yet...it isn't scheduled to be changed out until the 30,000 mile service, which it hasn't had yet because, well, it has just covered 29,000 miles.

I thought that it may be the diff too, but could it still be the diff if the car appears to roll cleanly in neutral at low speed?

Thanks,
Old 11-13-2003, 11:30 AM

That sounds exactly like what happened to my diff.

However, it would not roll at all. I think I have it on video where the car has to be pulled on the flatbed with the wheels locked up.

If you do a search, I think you could find the link to the video I made, hehe.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh man, sounds like the differential to me. This is the reason why I always change the differential fluid at 6-7k intervals. So far, I have gone 51k miles without issue.. *knock on wood*
Old 11-13-2003, 09:10 PM

I made the mistake of waiting 'til 15k miles, I will change mine every 6 to 7k from now on. There was a lot of metal build up on the magnet/drain plug.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:23 AM

The service department are prelimenarily saying that they think it is something in the transmission, not the diff.

They want me to authorize tear down of the tranny, so basically, if they find something there that isn't warrantable, I have to foot the complete bill.

Now logic tells me that this is ridiculous. If my car is under warranty, why should I have to authorize anything other than to get it fixed at THEIR expense.

What should I do? Should I involve my attorney? I take it that transmission repairs aren't cheap?

Also, could this have anything to do with my damaged/worn CV joints from about 7,000 miles ago that were replaced under warranty? The dealership forgot to tighten up the driveshaft and it was unbalanced/banging around under the car with some bolts missing. At the transmission end, it was hanging on by two loosely threaded bolts - when there are supposed to be four tightened bolts. Could this movement have damaged the transmission at all?

Many thanks for anyone's input.

PS. CRX7 - why did you make a mistake waiting until 15,000? The Helm's manual says to first change it at 30,000 miles.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Sime
Also, could this have anything to do with my damaged/worn CV joints from about 7,000 miles ago that were replaced under warranty? The dealership forgot to tighten up the driveshaft and it was unbalanced/banging around under the car with some bolts missing. At the transmission end, it was hanging on by two loosely threaded bolts - when there are supposed to be four tightened bolts. Could this movement have damaged the transmission at all?
Sh!t yeah! Ok, so I don't specifically know that it would be related but I would definitely be reminding them of their previous cackhandedness. I mean, if they say you abused the tranny then you can say "And I guess you guys cocking up my driveshaft had nothing to do with it?". They know they would lose that one in court.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:39 AM

My diff. blew up too. Its at the dealership, and they told me they will not warranty it. It has 20,000 mi.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:24 AM

AusS2000 - will do! Thanks. Vertigo-Pro - bummer! I hope that you can work it out with them. Why did they say they were not going to warranty your diff? What was their reasoning? How much are they quoting you for repair/replacement?

Still waiting for the prognosis on mine......

Quick Reply: bang, crunch, clank. Uh oh.......