S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ball joint nut spins

Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joint nut spins

the topic sounds stupid but the story is,(this is on a dc5 rsx but im sure the idea is the same) I got the ball joint off the ghetto way (installing coilovers) without a ball joint remover. I banged that thing like no other to get it out and when i put

everything back together, the nut spins WITH the bolt. really stuck at this point and too afraid to drive the car. never had this problem before. Is there a way to replace the whole bolt? I think i messed it up in the process of being really

frustrated. I remember installing my suspension, nothing went wrong, even tho i did everything the ghetto way (banged it out, and no spring compressor). So im stuck, can anyone guide me to what to do now? the nut is half on and wont go pass where the cotton pin would have been. I was thinking greasing it, or just buy a new bolt and a ball joint remover.

thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It shouldn't matter how you removed the joint, unless you banged directly on the threaded portion. To remove a joint, either use the correct removal tool or bang on the knuckle to pop the taper loose.

It sounds like you deformed the threaded portion of the ball joint assembly and the only solution to your problem is to replace the joint or have it re-threaded.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:46 AM

so a ball joint remover will remove the ball joint from the steering column? and get a new ball joint bolt? i didnt bang to deform the threads , i was banging on the arm of the coilovers
Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 AM

Use a jack and apply pressure on the part the ball joint goes through. This will hold the piece the nut is threaded on.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Master Repair,Feb 11 2007, 05:16 AM
Use a jack and apply pressure on the part the ball joint goes through. This will hold the piece the nut is threaded on.
are you talking about to screw it back in? i got the nut in 3/4th thread. its like half hanging out. ill try that tomorrow, but what should i buy at checkers before i come home to work on my car. i wont be able to make it there after i try it out

can you explain a little better? did you mean jack it up to the point the bottom of the bolt is on the jack?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

First : do not drive the car when you ar not sure the ball joint is secure.

What I would suggest in your case:
Lift the ball joint out of the lower arm and test if you can screw the nut all the way to the end.
If you can't the threads are damaged.
You mentioned you can't get it past the hole where the cotter pin goes through.
Maybe there is a burr there or something.
You could get yourself a small triangular key file to get rid of the burr.
If the damage is in the nut then get a new one.

Then clean the tapered part of the ball joint and the tapered hole in the lower arm.
Grease will make it difficult for the parts the "grip".

Then if you lift the lower arm with a jack (as Master R suggested) high enough so you start to lift the car of the jack stands a little (be carefull) you are putting some load on the ball joint that may help giving the tapered parts some "grip".

Torque the nut down to 59 - 69 Nm, and put the cottor pin back in.

Succes
Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM

what if the nuts wont go in period. even with wd40. can i replace the ball joint nut? or do i have to replace the whole thing
Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=donger274,Feb 12 2007, 04:31 PM] what if the nuts wont go in period.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:27 AM

i think im just gonna have it replaced when i get the car aligned. how much am i expecting as a bill?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need an impact gun to get the nut on, otherwise the ball joint will spin when you try to tighten it

Quick Reply: ball joint nut spins