S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

from bad to WORSE - The verdict is in.. the winner is ?!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump for you.

Great video.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k
The reason I say I believe it is your diff is because the the CV joints will not make noise unless they are bearing a load (aka on the ground and moving). You said you held the pass side wheel while spinning the driver side and it made noise. Then you said you did the same for the other and heard the noise still. Are you sure its coming from the rear end? I have heard of the inner CV joints wearing out quick on the S though. Can you describe the noise?

I was worried it was the transmission. But the car shifts perfectly and has only 2k on the GMSMFT fluid which was a huge improvement in shifting over the Honda MTF II. The car is dry underneath so nothing is leaking as I’m sure I’d see some wet, residual fluid. It’s so hard to tell where it’s coming from because when noise sounds like it’s almost directly underneath the car. Billman says that a bad diff can make noise all the way up the shaft to the tranny. If it’s the diff or axles ill breathe easier. If it’s the tranny ill have a nervous breakdown because I don’t have the ability to do that myself. But one would guess a tranny would start having shifting issues or pop out of gear before it got as loud as it is. I’m banking on it being the rear end considering I can hear the knock when I spin the back wheels. What bugs me out is the drivers side wheel is louder than the passengers side…but you can still hear it if you listen really closely.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a chance to drain some fluid out of the diff yet? You don't necessarily have to drain it all the way, with that much commotion you should see bits and pieces pretty quickly.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
I'm still betting on a CV related issue. Especially if you don't beat on your diff and/or have never had warning signs in the past of a failing diff.
My guess as well. the clicking is to sharp to be the dif.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I know Rick very well and would be shock if its the diff, he never launchs the car.

If its the diff, with the car off and the rear jack up in the air, when you spin the passenger side wheel, the driver side wheel wont move.

Another key point is that when I spoke to rick about this the first time he heard the noise, he said it only happens when he hits the gas.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I am here now and when the rear of the car is in the air and is in first gear, if you spin the passenger side wheel forward, the driver side wheel spins back wards, so the diff ant the problem.

Noise is coming from the axle and they wobble more on the driver side. Axle looks fine from the outside, inside I think is wherebthe damage is.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Banned

If it were my car, I'd disconnect axles from differential and see if it goes away. If that doesn't narrow it, disconnect drive shaft.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by DumpedS2k
If it were my car, I'd disconnect axles from differential and see if it goes away. If that doesn't narrow it, disconnect drive shaft.

I was going to do this before Jose got here, but he told me not too he wanted to do other tests first. Your right it makes sense...
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What no credit for me? lol all good. Glad you got it sorted out. I'm pretty familiar with the sound which is why I was pretty positive that it wasn't your diff.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
What no credit for me? lol all good. Glad you got it sorted out. I'm pretty familiar with the sound which is why I was pretty positive that it wasn't your diff.
Thanks man.. you are all a great help. I was lucky I was able to get my parents old CRV with 191k on the clock! Sat out in the woods for a year as they never use it. Jose saw the dead mice I found in the intake but hey, its runs. Ill give it a full service and detail..and am happy I was able to get it while the S is down..

Quick Reply: from bad to WORSE - The verdict is in.. the winner is ?!