S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad throw out bearing?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 AM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the engine and transmission apart and out of the car, and the bearing is making some noise when I turn it around. There is also some slack in it... So I ordered a new one to be sure, when I have it all apart anyway.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

cmn Posted on Dec 27 2010, 03:11 PM
So I ordered a new one to be sure, when I have it all apart anyway.
C'mon man... that's a no-brainer.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was worried it would take too long to get it.. Also, it is very expensive in Norway... Almost $300 for the bearing only!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by realblag,Dec 26 2010, 11:10 AM
If it completely seized, I guess it could wear the input shaft. Are you driving with bad throwout bearing?
I apologize for the mistake. I was unaware the tranny had a throwout guide. My previous throwout bearing experiences were not with vehicles that had them.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by realblag,Dec 27 2010, 07:06 PM
I apologize for the mistake. I was unaware the tranny had a throwout guide. My previous throwout bearing experiences were not with vehicles that had them.
And I'd wager that in none of those cars does the inner race actually contact the input shaft.

The throwout bearing outer race contacts the clutch release fork, and the inner race contacts the pressure plate release fingers. The pressure plate (attached to the crankshaft) often turns at a different speed than the transmission input shaft. For example, when in gear with the clutch disengaged at idle, the inner race of the throwout bearing is spinning about 700 rpm while the transmission input shaft is stationary.

That's on any car with a traditional manual transmission.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 AM

Well...

The throwout outer race (red) contacts the pressure plate spring.
The inner race (blue) is held stationairy by the fork and slides over the guide.
I don't know for sure what kind of bearing it is, in the drawing it is a roller bearing.
It could be an angular contact roller bearing as the force is mostly axial.

The inputshaft doesn't touch the guide.
In gear, clutch not pressed, I think the outer race doesn't spin as fast as the flyhweel-disk-PP combo, it is just dragged along a bit as there is no real contact or maybe doesn't spin at all after a while.
In gear, clutch not pressed, the input shaft spins as fast as the flywheel = that's the whole idea getting power into the trans
The power is getting transferred by the PP to the disk, via the splines into the input shaft.
The splined bit of the disk has those loose springs that cause the clutch buzz, but the buzz itself is (normal and should-be-there) backlash in the gearbox.

Changing gear, the input shaft will start to spin at different rpm from the flywheel - that's when the pilot bearing starts working - until you release the clutch.
The pilot bearing is also support for the input shaft, as it sticks out a fair bit from the gearbox.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Dec 27 2010, 06:57 PM
And I'd wager that in none of those cars does the inner race actually contact the input shaft.
Well, actually, it does ride directly on the input shaft in alot of vehicles. Right now, the trans is out of my 81 toyota PU. I am putting a clutch in it .The throwout inner race slides on the input shaft. The outer race is held to the release fork by a couple of spring steel wires that will shear off in the event of total throwout bearing failure. I knew the release fork was different on the S2000 and held the bearing in a different way. This lead to my guess of input shaft wear.
SpitfireS, thank you for your usual enlightening information.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 PM

So how does it work when the clutch is disengaged, but the transmission is in gear at a stoplight. The transmission input shaft is not moving at all, but the inner race fo the throwout bearing is spinning at the engine's idle speed?

So by definition we have the inner race of the throwout bearing spinning at engine idle speed while the transmission input shaft is stationary.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 AM

RedY2KS2k Posted on Dec 29 2010, 04:54 AM
So how does it work when the clutch is disengaged, but the transmission is in gear at a stoplight. The transmission input shaft is not moving at all, but the inner race fo the throwout bearing is spinning at the engine's idle speed?
Outer race of the throwout - in red in my picture.
Driven by the pressure plate spring - you're pressing the pedal, the fork pulls the PP spring back, to make room between FW and PP for the disk to spin at different speeds, IOW to disconnect the trans from the engine.
The inner race - blue - doesn't spin at all.
Because of the clutch fork / cams on the throwout.

P.S. You're not color blind, are you?
No offence.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 AM

cmn Posted on Dec 28 2010, 12:23 AM
Also, it is very expensive in Norway... Almost $300 for the bearing only!
If you can plan work on your car, you should start to shop outside of Europe.
22810-PCY-003 at CFL honda = $86,11
http://www.cflhonda.com/splash/index.cfm?siteid=215502

Include about $45,- for international shipping and whatever the Norwegian customs want and you're done.
Delivered at your doorstep.

Quick Reply: Bad throw out bearing?