S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad throw out bearing?

Old 12-26-2010, 04:05 AM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bad throw out bearing?

As the topic says, what damage can a bad throw out bearing do? Can it do any damage, or will it just be the sound?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends how bad. Its possible that the bearing itself will destroy itself and scuff up the other parts within the bellhousing (clutch disk, pressure plate, flyhweel) I suppose its highly unlikely to do a LOT of damage. This is all speculation, maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in later?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it completely seized, I guess it could wear the input shaft. Are you driving with bad throwout bearing?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by realblag,Dec 26 2010, 02:10 PM
If it completely seized, I guess it could wear the input shaft...
???????????????
Old 12-26-2010, 01:19 PM

If the bearing is locked up, it may spin the inner sleeve which would quickly cook up the urea grease and begin putting wear on the input shaft. Usually, when one part of the clutch system goes out, the other parts will go out soon.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:59 PM

But if it locks up, isn't it going to spin around within the release fork?

Have you ever looked at the inner sleeve? I honestly don't remember how it's structured, since I replaced my clutch disk (for the godawful rattle and buzz on decelleration), about 5 years ago. But as I remember it the inner race spins at engine speed (in contact with the pressure plate release fingers) and the sleeve is bolted to the transmission and remains stationary.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Dec 26 2010, 05:59 PM

Have you ever looked at the inner sleeve? I honestly don't remember how it's structured, since I replaced my clutch disk (for the godawful rattle and buzz on decelleration), about 5 years ago. But as I remember it the inner race spins at engine speed (in contact with the pressure plate release fingers) and the sleeve is bolted to the transmission and remains stationary.
IDK it's been about 5 years for me too.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

My throw out bearing is making lots of noise in my integra. I'll drive it til it blows up
Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Dec 26 2010, 03:59 PM

Yeah, I think the inner is pretty tight to the input and the outer is "hanging" so if it seizes, the shift fork would wear first, I think
Old 12-27-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all: the throwout doesn't ride on the input shaft, it slides on the throuwout guide.
The tube with the triangular base & 3 bolts.

If it would actually completely seize * it can not spin in the clutch fork fingers, as the throwout groove has 2 "cams" to stop it from spinning in the fork's fingers.
(it can only slide back & forth on the guide)
It would start to slip at pressure plate - throwout contact and most likely make a lot of noise, create metal dust and what not and wear out the PP spring fingers.

* personally I have never seen a roller bearing seize.
Even when the cage is completely gone it still rotates - badly and possibly excentric - to the point where the balls get chewed up and fly out of the bearing.

Quick Reply: Bad throw out bearing?