S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad slave cylinder?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad slave cylinder?

Recently my clutch pedal has gotten an enormous amount of free play in it and it feels like any resistance/engagment is the last few inches and it's tough to get into 1st and reverse now.

The fluid in the CMC was low and is black so I will be changing out the fluid as soon as I can but I have discovered grease/sludge on the rod behind the clutch pedal that goes into the slave cylinder.

Do you guys think I would be able to fix the issue by just thoroughly cleaning the slave cylinder or should I just go ahead and get a new one?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:23 PM

its said you can just change out the fluid a couple times to fix it, yours sounds pretty bad thou only 100 or so for a new one. your call.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like whatever seals may be in there have failed so I would be inclined to replace it rather than run the risk of having clutch fluid all over the inside of your car. Where there is smoke there is fire and it is just a matter of time before something bad happens.
Originally Posted by Seanzyyy
Recently my clutch pedal has gotten an enormous amount of free play in it and it feels like any resistance/engagment is the last few inches and it's tough to get into 1st and reverse now.

The fluid in the CMC was low and is black so I will be changing out the fluid as soon as I can but I have discovered grease/sludge on the rod behind the clutch pedal that goes into the slave cylinder.

Do you guys think I would be able to fix the issue by just thoroughly cleaning the slave cylinder or should I just go ahead and get a new one?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM

I would replace it ASAP if possible for the reason mentioned above. You'll likely be just fine cleaning it out and driving like that for a while, but I'd personally have that 'what if' feeling in the back of my mind.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my clutch pedal went limp, I had great success following Billman's recommendation: I sucked the old fluid from the reservoir and replaced it with clean fluid. I drove for a couple of days, and the pedal operation was restored.

That was all it took in my case. Others may have different experiences.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanzyyy
I have discovered grease/sludge on the rod behind the clutch pedal that goes into the slave cylinder.
BTW, the rod behind the clutch pedal goes into your MASTER cylinder. The slave cylinder is mounted on the side of the transmission. Grease and sludge on that rod is not unusual. Dripping brake fluid is unusual. The brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir being black is also not unusual. It can go black within weeks after changing it. That's just the way it can be. It being low is not normal. It's going somewhere. It could be the master or slave cylinder that's leaking. Start by cleaning up the mess at the clutch pedal rod so you can see if new fluid is coming out there. Do a thorough system flush and bleed. That should bring your clutch operation back for the time being. If there is significant leakage, it will show up fairly soon. Then you'll be able to determine which cylinder to change. A leaking slave cylinder will show fluid all around the rubber boot at the tranny and possibly dribbles on the garage floor. If the reservoir gets low again, see if the area around the pedal rod is showing signs of fluid. Even if it isn't, there still may be an internal leak in the master.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:52 PM

That happened to me too. It was actually leaking into the car down the firewall. And my clutch stopped working totally. checked my fluid and it was dry, I filled it up pumped it a few times, topped it off then clutch.petal felt better then it ever did. Never leaked again and that was about.a year ago and its my daily driver.

Note: it was right after I bought my car. And it looked really old. And thats about the.only fluid I didnt change when I got the car. But it hasn't happened again...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM

Push the clutch pedal in and hold it. If the slave is leaking, you will find fluid on the ground. Eventually the clutch pedal will not come back up after it leaks most of the fluid out.