S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad oil change

Old 08-31-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad oil change

I got my oil changed 10 days ago and the day after went on a 600 mile trip. I haven't driven the car since then and when I pulled it out of the garage today, I noticed some oil underneath. I checked the dipstick and that was fine, as well as everything else I could eyeball. I went to drive it for a few blocks to warm it up and I heard a clank, looked in the rearview and saw a piece fly from the bottom of my car, followed by some smoke. I immediately pulled over, pooped the hood, and saw all the oil shooting out what I think was the drain plug. I called the Honda dealership who gave me a towing place to call and they said they would look at it tomorrow. Is there any serious damage that I should have them look for? The towing company seems to know the s2000 and are waiting for a flatbed to become available. I put the car in neutral with the brake off, right?
Old 08-31-2004, 01:25 PM

pooped is the right word to use in this situation
Old 08-31-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you saying that you saw something like the drain plug fly from the bottom of the car? If I piece your story together, you're saying that the drain plug fell off, and you stopped your car immediately.

I'm hoping that you also turned your engine off when this happened. If so, it is likely that no harm was done especially since you still saw oil coming from the drain hole.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like somebody "finger-tightened" the drain bolt, then forgot to torque it. After a little while it worked itself loose.

Agreed that if you actually shut down the engine while it was still spewing oil, it's probably not damaged.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:07 PM

Yep, I saw what was probably the drain plug fly from behind my car and I was stopped and the engine off within 5 seconds. Oil was still shooting out of the hole when I looked under the hood. You don't realize how much or how far the oil can shoot until this type of situation. They just towed it to the dealer and the service manager & supervisor were there and apologized to me. They paid the towing company and will fill it back with oil tomorrow and check to see if there was any oil damage.

The reason I was able to see the drain plug fly out is that it must have bounced up and hit the underside of my car twice so I was immediately looking.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes!

Yes, it sounds like you saved the engine by stopping and shutting it down. The dealership should thank you ... at least with several free oil changes.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:04 PM

wow anythign flying from under your s2k is not good!! Man I'd be pissed at the dealer wtf!!!! Give em hellll!!
Old 08-31-2004, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's another reason why i prefer to do the work myself!!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:09 AM

Yes, it was a bad oil change, but several good things also happened here.
  • tino was very alert, and shut down quickly to avoid engine damage
  • The dealer accepted responsibility for the loose drain plug
  • The tow truck company knew that a flat bed was the thing to use
My faith in humanity has been shored up.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Sounds" like no damage was done BUT I would ask for an extended warrantty on the engine to 100k miles just to cover yourself if there was any damage.

Quick Reply: Bad oil change