S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad noise no engine start need help!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad noise no engine start need help!

Hi,

First of al happy new year 2007 to you all!

However my new years eve was not so good at all.

I've got a 2003 S2000 with only 7500 miles on it, second owner. Yesterday i started the car just to put it on the driveway, and on the evening i wanted to put it back in the garage. When i started up the car in the mornng, it ran normally no noise, but it shut off by itself suddenly while running stationary and it was shuddering before stopping, engine was cold.

In de evening i wanted to start it again, the engine would not go, it was rumbling a bit while starting, the same if youve had bad ignition. I continued to start but without succes and than it happend, a noise like "CLING" and the starter blocked!

As it is now, the engine is not turning around and the starter is blocked.

I can manually turn the engine with a wrench on the cranckshaft pulley,but only for 90 degrees!

Does anybody have a clew what happened to my car?
Will the valves been bent, knowing that the engine was not running and that it happened during starting? Will i have any major engine damage?

The professional who sold me the car gave me a one year warranty and it expires tomorrow, ive got to react really fast by sending him mail allready today.

I was reading about the problems of the retainer of the distribution chain on this forum, would this be the same problem?

Would be nice to read some ofyor comments on this, thanks already.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:55 AM

Forgot to say i've mounted an AEM V2 Cold Air Intake, and that i've got the Invidia with Cat replacement from Megan racing.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely sounds like it could be serious. Kind of hard to diagnose over the internet. If you have a warrenty, you had best invoke it before it runs out.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:47 AM

looks like you threw a rod to sky buddy sorry to say that but CAİ can always cause this kind of problems! Did the car stay under the rain or did you drive it while raining w\CAİ ?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:51 AM

i did not drive the car in the rain but it was raining while parked outside, however i can not imagine rain dribbling down on the car go into the cone, getting sucked up all the way up without even driving?

How many S2000 drivers use CAI intakes without problems?

I dont think it is coming from the AEM CAI, at least i hope so?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bahadir...nice catch on the AIM CAI.

Dick...it depends on the CAI. The AEM is notorious for causing hydro-lock and distroying engines. Yes...just by leaving it in the rain can cause hydo-lock with that intake...no driving necessary. There is a water drain hole just above the filter...if it is not blocked off or if the filter does not have a shield, then rain water will soak the filter and then be sucked into the engine when you start it. Boom...hydro-locked engine.

Few questions: You said that the engine died on it's own when you pulled it out of the garage in the morning. Was it raining when you pulled the car out to the driveway? Was it raining hard? How long was the engine running in the driveway before it shut off by itself?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jan 1 2007, 01:25 PM
Bahadir...nice catch on the AIM CAI.

Dick...it depends on the CAI. The AEM is notorious for causing hydro-lock and distroying engines. Yes...just by leaving it in the rain can cause hydo-lock with that intake...no driving necessary. There is a water drain hole just above the filter...if it is not blocked off or if the filter does not have a shield, then rain water will soak the filter and then be sucked into the engine when you start it. Boom...hydro-locked engine.

Few questions: You said that the engine died on it's own when you pulled it out of the garage in the morning. Was it raining when you pulled the car out to the driveway? Was it raining hard? How long was the engine running in the driveway before it shut off by itself?
thanks negcamber

Btw DICKFROMBRUSSELS just take the AEM CAİ out and %90 you'll find water in the intake system and the throttle
Old 01-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

This was from an S2k with an AEM sitting in the driveway overnight, in the rain:

First thing to do: remove the spark plugs, remove the fuel pump fuse, and crank it for 10 seconds to blow the water out.

-clean the spark plugs with brake or carb cleaner, and blow them dry. Put the engine all back together, DO NOT START. Put the fuel pump fuse back in.

-disconnect the AEM intake completely from the throttle body. Dry any water in the TB with a paper towel. Leave the intake off.

-Run the engine without the intake. It is very important to get the engine up and running right away, as sitting water will soon destroy the rings and valve seats.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:15 PM

But if you already hydro-locked your engine , its already too late for your rods i guess

There4 no need to "remove the spark plugs, remove the fuel pump fuse, and crank it for 10 seconds to blow the water out.

-clean the spark plugs with brake or carb cleaner, and blow them dry" cause you have a bend rod (not a broken one if you are lucky enough) whether its wet or dry
Old 01-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Dude what the hell are you talking about.

I had an s2k hydrolock in front of me and stall. I did the above procedure and his car is fine.

It is likely his car will be fine also.

Quick Reply: Bad noise no engine start need help!