S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad noise with Mugen header

Old 06-29-2002, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad noise with Mugen header

I recently installed a Mugen header. After the car sits for a little (1 hour or more), it will make a loud noise upon start up. It's hard to describe the noise, sort of like a blunt bang. I have a Comptech CAI (CRAP) and stock exhaust. My Mugen CAI and exhaust are on the way. Do you think this is a back pressure issue, or could something just be loose? Once the car makes the sound, if I immediatly turn the car off and start it again, no noise. Any ideas? By the way, the install was quite easy and the quality is top notch. There is also a very noticeable gain in the mid-range. Very happy. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2002, 01:52 PM

very noticeable gain ... LMAO...
However, I think it must be something wrong during the isntallation...!
Old 06-29-2002, 08:45 PM

I just installed a spoon header last week and i experienced a wierd sound when i started the car for a couple days too. What i think t was, was the connection from the cat to the header. I believe those two boltes shift and move around until finally sit. I noticed big springs on them so i fugured they just adjusted themselves. I think thats what it may be

Mine stopped making the noise after a few days.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:25 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by demonderrick
[B]very noticeable gain ...
Old 06-30-2002, 05:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by charles02
[B]I recently installed a Mugen header.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:44 PM

9906 and docofmind,
Thanks for the advice. I checked everything to make sure all was tight. Seemed okay to me. The cat is as tight as the bolts will allow. The header has only been on for two days, so maybe it will settle and just go away. I am going to call King on Monday just to be safe. One question, did you guys leave on the black heat shield? It almost seems as though the heat shield on the header may be bumping into the black heat shield upon start up. I dunno.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:27 AM

Sorry i can't help you with that but since i'm on the way to get a CAI, why do you say that Comptech is crap ?
I hesitate between the comptech one and the K&n one . Thanks
Old 07-02-2002, 11:48 AM

The Comptech CAI I purchased had MAJOR issues with hitting the hood. Even with the carbon fiber lid off, my hood still rubs. Comptech has handled the situation very well, and I tip my hat to them. They are going to give me an adjusted refund. Not everyone that has purchased the intake has had problems. In fact, I am going to take pictures of mine installed and return it as quickly as possible, at Comptech's request, so they can learn where they errored. And yes, I did everything correctly with crushing the AC lines. The box is sitting on the frame rail. Just a poor fit. Sorry for the discouraging news. My Mugen CAI is on the way.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, i'll stick with K&N
Old 07-02-2002, 04:16 PM

Charles,
I left the heat shield on when I put the headpipe on. I don't really know if it keeps any heat out of the engine bay or if it's a safety thing to prevent a few burned fingers. But no rattles, no loud noises, no nothing from my install. BTW, my Injen CAI is a perfect fit and I recommend it.

Quick Reply: Bad noise with Mugen header