S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad motor / transmission mounts?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad motor / transmission mounts?

I have been having an issue where if you let off the throttle for a few seconds and reapply the throttle, it feels like there is drivetrain lash, and the car will buckle a little and you can hear it. It is more prevalent in the lower gears.

Background
02 S2k
70k miles
I daily drive it/never been tracked and rarely beat on it.
Not modded at all
never seen a winter

I just replaced the 4 diff mounts with OEM even though they looked fine and that did not fix it. I was going to try the transmission then motor mounts but wanted to get more input before spending the money. I visually inspected the motor/trans mounts and they are not cracked or leaking. I tried the test where you use the e-brake and lurch it a bit to watch for excess movement of the engine but it didn't seem like it moved all that much.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:22 PM

bump before I buy new oem motor/trans mounts. Its not like it would hurt since they do have 70k and 10 years on them
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by JCuz222
bump before I buy new oem motor/trans mounts. Its not like it would hurt since they do have 70k and 10 years on them
I'd be very interested in this aswell... i have the exact same issue and started to notice it after my clutch and diff have been replaced (with oem parts).
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

can you move your motor by hand? do you get any shifter movement when turning your motor on/off? Have you been under the car and rotated the driveshaft, there will probably be a certain amount of play inherently.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 AM
MTZ

get innovative mounts, they are way better at keeping the motor in place and vibrations are not bad at all unless you go 85 which is still not too bad but def more noticiable.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i just got my motor mount changed,
i had lots of vibrations and i knew something was wrong but just didnt know what it was.
a local shop looked at it for 2 secs and knew it was busted motor mounts.

it feels and drives like a new car.
no vibrations! look in to it!

btw i went stock, the cheapest
Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by JCuz222
I have been having an issue where if you let off the throttle for a few seconds and reapply the throttle, it feels like there is drivetrain lash, and the car will buckle a little and you can hear it. It is more prevalent in the lower gears.
So i was thinking about this some more...

Is it possible they messed up the mounts when they changed my clutch (since they have to lower the engine a little)? I definately didn't have this issue before the clutch change.

I think i'll just take the car back to the dealer and talk to them about it...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldnt hurt to replace them, I had no S&S at all, but replaced them on a wtf/bored one day and found out they were both split!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:39 PM

So I finally got around to swapping them out and the pic below is what I found for the driver side mount. There was no leaky red stuff and looked find until I actually lifted it and took it out. I had no shakes or anything on accel but the engine did wobble a little at idle. The drive train slack is about 90% gone now. The transmission ones were mediocre at best and pretty squishy. The new ones are more stable and there is no shifter movement at idle now, there was only a little movement before but they were cheap and worth the change while I was down there. My friend helped me with the front mounts so between the two of us it only took about an hour.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

cant see the pic sorry. what did you end up going with oem?

Quick Reply: Bad motor / transmission mounts?