S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad KNOCK SENSOR but CAR DIES...WHY!?!

Old 11-25-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena,Nov 25 2010, 03:18 PM
If detonation is detected it pulls timing to protect the engine. If it is too sensitive or the ECU too quick to pull timing there is a performance penalty.

As long adequate fuel is used, temps kept in the normal range, and lugging is avoided, there should be no detonation.
But if its already throwing a cel, how would he be able to knowif he has another cel? Fix the knock sensor problem so later you can catch other cels
Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I hit VTEC all the time while I was crusing around without the knock sensor, and it was funny to feel the changeover but there would be no extra pulling power..

And I kind of disagree on the lack of power not being noticeable. I would let other people drive my car, including several other s2000 owners, and they immediately complained about the lack of power being intolerable, specially at the higher RPMS.

Happy motoring
Old 11-26-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena,Nov 25 2010, 09:18 AM
Many of use ECU's that ignore the knock sensor and find it is not a problem.
what do you mean by that? ECU's ignore broken knock sensor? or its okay to reset the ecu to get rid of the cel!?!?!confused...
Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the replies... they are helping me sort things out.

Here is some new information after afbout 100 miles of driving
with the cel on and the car seemed to be running fine. I am not sure about power loss at vtec range but it does feel a little weak at very low rpms. Then, after about 100 miles of driving, the car turned off completely....it shut off all of a sudden, as if I had turned off the engine. The car would not restart. The window wouldnt even close, like the electrical system was messed up. I jacked the car up, wiggled every sensor I could find, and DISCONNECTED the BATTERY. The car started this time!! There was no CEL. I drove for a couple miles and the CEL came back on. Perhaps, disconnecting the battery reset the ecu, which gave me enough time to start the car? Or I somehow wiggled the knock sensor better into place? I have no idea. BUT WHY DID THE CAR TURN OFF BYITSELF WHILE CRUISING?? (the code can also be a circuit malfunction) Perhaps the knock sensor might not be the definitive problem here. Maybe its electrical, like I pinched a wire or something. The knock sensor IS a preventative measure but an important one so I just need to make sure the problem indeed is the knock sensor.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:51 AM

I cant really help with the second problem, but just get the dang thing fixed. i dont even understand why ud want to ride around with a faulty sensor..
Old 11-26-2010, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by fatjoe10,Nov 25 2010, 10:20 PM
I hit VTEC all the time while I was crusing around without the knock sensor, and it was funny to feel the changeover but there would be no extra pulling power..

And I kind of disagree on the lack of power not being noticeable. I would let other people drive my car, including several other s2000 owners, and they immediately complained about the lack of power being intolerable, specially at the higher RPMS.

Happy motoring
With it being noticable, its more of an opinion, not everyones a human dyno and can calculate horsepower lose by 6hp, sorry I wasnt blessed with that gift, the point is fix it for peace of mind
Old 11-26-2010, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my uk car without one for months and it was ok but I think the ECU pulls timing. When I got it put back in the car ran noticeable stronger.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by dan_uk,Nov 26 2010, 04:57 AM
I drove my uk car without one for months and it was ok but I think the ECU pulls timing. When I got it put back in the car ran noticeable stronger.
The ecu grabs its info from sensors like the knock sensor, ignition, timing,power and fuel economy can all be effected without having a knock sensor...knock sensor retard timing after it detects pinging, if theres no sensor wat is there for the ecu to read? Thats where youd get a cel for faulty knock sensor...replace it and be done, it shouldnt be an expensive fix
Old 11-26-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by fatjoe10,Nov 24 2010, 05:13 PM
I just put 87 in the car while I waited for the sensor
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the exact opposite of what you should do? Higher octane would protect you from the premature detonation that the knock sensor is meant to prevent. By running a lower octane you are increasing the odds of premature detonation which the car cannot compensate for without a functioning knock sensor. Please explain if I'm wrong.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Nov 26 2010, 05:31 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the exact opposite of what you should do? Higher octane would protect you from the premature detonation that the knock sensor is meant to prevent. By running a lower octane you are increasing the odds of premature detonation which the car cannot compensate for without a functioning knock sensor. Please explain if I'm wrong.
you are correct.

Quick Reply: Bad KNOCK SENSOR but CAR DIES...WHY!?!