S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad diff, CV joint, what to do?

Old 12-02-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad diff, CV joint, what to do?

I took my car in for service and it turns out i have a bad rear diff. It hasnt been taken apart but the best guess is worn teeth.

So the story is that honda cares wont cover the diff. If this is the case, im looking at any where from 2500-4000. I am completely open to suggestions or other experiences.

thanks
Old 12-02-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why the guess of "bad teeth"? What are the symptoms? How did they determine it was "bad"? What kind of diff fluid have you been using? And what kind of fluid maintenance has it been subjected to? Any mods to it?

If it's only worn teeth, you can always buy another used set from someone who has gone with aftermarket gears and don't want their OEM gears anymore. Shouldn't be too pricey. Or you could go to aftermarket gears for a around $1000.00 or so. (Rick's 4.56 for example) Of course this is assuming that there is nothing else wrong with your diff.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:18 AM

Thanks xviper

I noticed i had a problem about a week ago. Any time i would accelerate the back of my car felt like it was going over a bumpy road. I also hear a little bit of whining(not sure if this has anything to do with it) to tell you the truth I'm not sure what fluids are put in it. I take it to keenan honda every three thousand miles. I just have an intake and exhaust nothing else.

hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gink5,Dec 2 2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks xviper

I noticed i had a problem about a week ago. Any time i would accelerate the back of my car felt like it was going over a bumpy road. I also hear a little bit of whining(not sure if this has anything to do with it) to tell you the truth I'm not sure what fluids are put in it. I take it to keenan honda every three thousand miles. I just have an intake and exhaust nothing else.

hope this helps.
What you describe is commonly reported as a bad CV joint on the 1/2 shafts - vibration and shuddering under accelerating load. You might want to have those looked at before taking the diff apart.
Broken teeth on the ring or pinion gear will give you a rhythmic power on/off kind of feel even under coasting or deceleration.
The little bit of whining may be coincidental with what's going on and it's hard to say if it's a normal sound or not. Does the whining increase with road speed or engine speed?
I ask about the type of fluid because traditionally, many dealers did not know what kind of fluid to put into our diffs and some put in the wrong fluid, which led to the eventual demise of the customer's diff. This usually resulted in diff whine and other odd noises. Diff fluid should be changed annually or every 10K miles or so.
Whining can also emminate from wheel bearings. There have been a few reports lately of these starting to go.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:52 AM

Thanks alot man. I'll let you know what the verdict is.

I forgot to add that one wheel locks up when you spin them.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 AM

My mechanic called today and it turns out that the gears are fine. He said the actual differential i busted? So it looks like the warranty is going to cover it.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gink5,Dec 7 2005, 12:04 PM
My mechanic called today and it turns out that the gears are fine. He said the actual differential i busted? So it looks like the warranty is going to cover it.
Good to hear they'll cover you. When they say the "actual diff", do they mean the LSD (limited slip diff)? Using the wrong fluid will do this, too.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:37 AM

Not sure, I don't know much about this. Thats probably what he meant.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 AM

If I were you, I would make a note of what type of fluid they are going to be putting into your new diff so at least you have it documented in case something else happens down the line. The dealership should be using a GL5 hypoid gear oil rated at SAE 90.

I'm currently using Mobil 1 75w90. Others are using LE607 90w oil.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 AM

Ok thanks for the info. One thing i did learn is that honda cares can be extremely difficult.

Quick Reply: Bad diff, CV joint, what to do?