S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

bad clutch

Old 07-17-2002, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad clutch

This is in regards to a huge very frustrating problem that happened last night. I was at a stop light and when I accelerated the RPM's shot to almost 9000 and the car did not accelerate, I quickly shifted to 2nd and the same thing happened until the RPM's reached 6000 then it took off. At first I thought I was turning the tires but I had the top down and didn't hear them spinning, plus there was no black marks on the road when I went back. Right after that I began to smell what I conlcluded as a burned clutch plate. Has this happened to anyone else? I wasn't riding the clutch and I wasn't really trying to accelerate that rapidly. Anyway I took it in to the shop today and a couple of times it had trouble between gears. Not that I always feel comfortable doing this, I am assuming Honda built this car to be driven hard, right? It almost felt like RPM limiting but the throttle was not cutting in and out. Any suggestions? I hope that it is covered by warranty.

Gary Penna
Old 07-17-2002, 08:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This a very common happening. If you were not trying to take off that rapidly, then with that kind of rpm, you have to have been slipping the clutch too much. This clutch is not 'bad' as such. It was just never designed to be used in that manner. Driving it hard is one thing but launching it hard is another. You must either take off moderately till the clutch hooks up, THEN floor it OR you must do a 6000+ rpm clutch drop for the best take off - this, of course, if done too often, will break something further down the drive line (like diff housing, half shafts). There is no warranty fix for this as it is considered "abuse". If you have the "clutch spring decel noise", then they will do a courtesy replacement for you. There is a TSB (tecnical service bulletin) on this.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:23 AM

Where can I read this TSB?

Thanks.

Gary
Old 07-17-2002, 09:39 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]This a very common happening.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:43 AM

I believe you can find the TSB on s2ki.com library...

https://www.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/imageview...cleview/92/1/1/

BTW, you're definitely not the only one experienced that. I burnt my clutch a month ago too... at a traffic jam at an almost 30 degree inclined slope that I let the clutch half-engaged for too long (following a SLK :<). It overheated and then the same thing and smell happened... It's caused by my bad skill, but the clutch is much 'weaker' than I originally believe.

BTW, I'm in Hong Kong so the TSB doesn't cover me I believe.. Will go to the dealer sometimes next week to find out together with the new spark plug TSB.

Hope I can get both the clutch and plugs fixed, especially the former one

Peter
Old 07-17-2002, 10:12 AM

Yea,

Let's face it, were not driving yugos, so of course we are going to drive these cars hard. Of course in moderation. I might have let the clutch engage for a little longer than normal, but when it ran up to almost 9gs' before I shifted with no forward moment that was unsettling. The following day everything work fine, but the smell was still present. I remember when I first test drove this car, I was not impressed at all by the low RPM acceleration. Then the dealer actually said this...you need to drive it like you hate it. Well he is right, you don't get that kick till 6, but still to get those sub 6 0-60 times they claim you really do have to drive it like you hate it. Everyone has ridden their clutch at one time (and if you haven't your a liar) I have been reading old PM's from the past and it looks like this clutch problem is one of the only major Achille's heal for the car. I can deal with that, but I really hope this will not become a regular occurence. Thanks for the TSB. I just printed it and am going to read it. I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trait43
[B]I have been reading old PM's from the past and it looks like this clutch problem is one of the only major Achille's heal for the car.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

I have an '02, and have had my clutch do the same thing. I've talked with several '02 owners that have also experienced it. Some say that the '02 clutch is weaker than the '00-'01. I have 10K miles on mine now, and I feel like it will need to be replaced soon. I have noticed that it doesn't hook up very quickly between fast shifts from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, etc.

When they say "drive it like you hate it" to get good launches, they are saying to POP the clutch. If you rev the engine up, and slip your foot off of the clutch pedal (instead of just lifting off of it), it WILL spin the rear tires. That is the only way I've ever been able to spin the rear in a straight line. It is really hard on the drivetrian, though.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:14 AM

actually, how I took it is max perform it. Go to max RPM before shifting and try to keep the RPMs' over 6 the whole time. It is pretty scary how fast it get up and gos' when you do that. By the way does anyone know if the TSB replacement is good for 2002 as well. It says 2000 on the TSB.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trait43
[B]actually, how I took it is max perform it.

Quick Reply: bad clutch