S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Axle Nut broke on rear wheel

Old 04-10-2015, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - So, I went back to the shop and talked to the owner and they were denying that it was their fault. Saying it was going to break and it was a weak point. They already had taken the axle misc items apart so I really couldn't tow the car. I went yesterday to pick it up because they said it was ready and when I put the key in the ignition I saw the ABS light was on. I left the car there and told them to fix it. I did take the car out for a spin and didn't hear any bearing/hub sound. Probably broke the sensor...

I'm not a mechanic but I was thinking that the bearing might have been installed backwards. I'm not sure if the bearing's black seal is facing outwards. If it's facing inwards maybe that's why the ABS light is coming up.

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfauNGoibuE
Old 04-10-2015, 06:04 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Abs light is probably coming on because the techs let the vss dangle when removing the knuckle and it got damaged. It looks like they owe you new vss.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn this shop is causing you more problems than you had...
Old 04-10-2015, 06:23 AM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

I am not getting a warm and fuzzy about the shop you are going to. This is a unique car and even (some) dealerships don't know a great deal about this car let alone a shop that deals with Fords and GMs. I do as much as I can myself and for the rest of the stuff I found a shop that specializes in just the S and NSX. You may have to do some searching and asking to find a decent place.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
If the clowns at your shop were the same ones who installed the nut with a super driver and staked it, they likely over-torqued the the thing leading to the eventual failure. An over torque can lead to failure as has happened to others in this forum and Billman has indicated.

Take it to 180 ft lbs and then 60 degrees past that.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/929...__hl__axle+nut
Once I bring the car back home that's what I'm going to do!
Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM

I am not getting a warm and fuzzy about the shop you are going to. This is a unique car and even (some) dealerships don't know a great deal about this car let alone a shop that deals with Fords and GMs. I do as much as I can myself and for the rest of the stuff I found a shop that specializes in just the S and NSX. You may have to do some searching and asking to find a decent place.
Thankfully my car hasn't had much to repair that I need a specialized shop to go to. I know this one guy that does work from his garage and he's pretty good. I also know someone working at Honda as a tech and I think I'm going to use him for bigger jobs. I don't like it when others are working on my car. I've had this car since high school and plan to keep it forever. Hopefully I'll have it parked next to a GT3 one day. I wish I had the skills to do this job.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a common problem for the ABS wires to break/lose connection when someone leaves the ABS wire bracket attached to the upper a-arm but removes the shock assembly. The hub droops down and stresses the wire. I'd imagine something similar happened when they did the work on your car.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a unique car and even (some) dealerships don't know a great deal about this car

I have found that many Honda dealerships are not experienced enough with the S2000 to diagnose or repair the car. After quite a bit of frustration I gave up on dealerships and make the time to do my own repairs.

Even in the recent past when there was more S2000 service I found that they did not have the staff, experience, or the desire to do a good job in many situations. Over the fifteen years I have owned the car fully half the repairs I have done were corrections of shoddy dealership work.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

If you think dealers are only sloppy on s2k's I got news for you. The flat rate way is to do the job as quickly as possible, and shifting blame from your screw ups at all costs. There's also, smoking parts, ie using junkyard parts and passing them off as new, and charging. Or my favorite, not doing a job like a valve adjustment, because they're not qualified or trained to do it, and charging you anyway for a job they didn't do. Then there's also the selling of unnecessary things, like insisting all 4 rotors and all brake pads have to be changed and then denying you from seeing the old parts even though the brakes have less than 12k miles on them. Or at least that's how Brickell Honda gets down around where I live.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

I am pretty sure CA state law (or could be Federal) requires old parts to be saved and available for inspection by the consumer. You can take them or toss them, but at least you can see them.

I have found many shops as you have described over the years. I am spring loaded to the "caution" position. I have been going to one guy for over 20 in Rancho Cordova, competent and honest as they come, and his reputation and decent pricing has brought good business to him.

I asked the manager at a local large local Honda dealer (Folsom) how prepared they were for S2000s. He told me that 2 mechanics had been sent out of state for S2000 Honda school and out of the entire dealership those were the 2 that worked on Ss. I have done all the stuff myself so I can't say how good they might be. At a closer, smaller Honda dealer, I had them do an alignment, I checked and they had a pretty nice current machine. I watched and chatted with the guy doing the work. It turned out he had never worked on an S before. He did manage a satisfactory alignment.

Quick Reply: Axle Nut broke on rear wheel