S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Axle or diff? Please help.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle or diff? Please help.

Hello all, just a quick question. I have ran my car before at the dragstrip, to the tune of 8.8/13.6 in the 1/8th and 1/4 mile. I recently had my engine rebuilt (about 3500 miles ago) and wanted to see what time I could manage at the local 1/8th mile track. First run I wasn't the smoothest on the clutch (comp stg 5), and blew the tires off yielding a miserable 2.6 60' and a 9.6 time. Next run I slipped the clutch to the best of my abilities and managed a 2.0 60' and a 8.9 @ 78 mph pass. I was enthused, and their was nobody at the track yet as they had just opened, and got right back in line. For whatever reason, I thought I would give it one more go and got greedy, trying to beat my previous best of 8.8 on my old motor and Comp stg. 1 clutch. I decided it would be cool to do a burnout to get whatever heat I could in my hankooks (stupid, I know). Needless to say, I revved to about 6500, dumped the clutch, and immediately heard a LOUD POP from my rearend. I know these cars dont like this sort of abuse, however I have done this before and my tires spun freely so I figured what the hell, hoping my tires would slip instead of trying to bite. Well they bit, and it popped. After this happened, I could put the car in any gear, and I hear a grinding sort of noise from the rear end. If I ease out on the clutch, I can get it to move, but it definitely isn't going anywhere quick. Also, when I come to a slight bump, or any type of uphill grade, it stops all forward movement, and the grinding intensifies as it isn't gripping at all (whatever let go). My question simply is does this sound like an axle, or a diff? I am not thrilled about this, and am rather embarrassed about it, but it is what it is. I will NOT be drag racing this car anymore, and am in save mode to get a supra and keep this as my DD. Looking underneath the car, everything is in tact, nothing is leaking or dripping at all, driveshaft is still hooked up, nothing looks out of the ordinary. Just won't move under its own power and has a nasty grinding sound coming from the rear when I do try to move. Any advice is appreciated greatly. Thank you guys.

Brendan
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain your diff fluid...see metal probably the diff.axles are possible but I'm leaning towards diff
Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 AM

Thanks bud. Will do when I have time. 60 hour weeks consume me.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 AM

I'm betting on the diff, especially given that the s2k (particularly the AP1s) have a weak diff that does not like drop-clutch launches at all.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 AM

Whatever it is, it went out hard. Won't move at ALL. I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined, but I know a little about how things work. And I know that when I had a blown axle in my previous car it acted the same as this. I hopefully will be finding time this weekend to get underneath it, drain the fluid and strain it to see if I have metal chunks/shavings. If it is in fact the diff, what exactly inside would have gave out to cause it to act like this? Would you suggest buying a used diff, or taking my diff somewhere to get the parts that went bad inside replaced? Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by brendanj85
Whatever it is, it went out hard. Won't move at ALL. I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined, but I know a little about how things work. And I know that when I had a blown axle in my previous car it acted the same as this. I hopefully will be finding time this weekend to get underneath it, drain the fluid and strain it to see if I have metal chunks/shavings. If it is in fact the diff, what exactly inside would have gave out to cause it to act like this? Would you suggest buying a used diff, or taking my diff somewhere to get the parts that went bad inside replaced? Thanks
I would say to buy a used low-mileage diff (with a warranty if possible). From what I understand it is a lot of labor to properly rebuild the s2k diff and many places may not rebuild it properly and a brand new one is $$$$.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM

Good info, thanks again. I'll be getting under it this weekend for sure, and will update accordingly.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully it's just an axle. When mine busted under somewhat similar circumstances it was easy to see that the inner part of the drivers side didn't look normal.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
Hopefully it's just an axle. When mine busted under somewhat similar circumstances it was easy to see that the inner part of the drivers side didn't look normal.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW

*fingers crossed* Will know by Saturday night.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look at the rubber cv boots

if they are twisted its an axle

58 bucks at autozone and lifetime warranty if youre local i'll swap it for ya and its free since I busted my axle a while back.

if the cv boots look ok and arent twisted up crack open the wallet for a diff

Quick Reply: Axle or diff? Please help.