S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

(axle bucket) Inner CV joint swap DIY with pics

Old 10-26-2005, 07:13 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

One cartridge is enough to do both sides.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RT,Oct 15 2005, 07:54 PM
right side is longer ...... I think .....
my question is, on a rear wheel drive car, why would one axle be longer than the other if the diff is properly centered??
Old 11-11-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my car aligned today (during which I found out that it seems the previous owner who put the tiens on never aligned it afterward it was sooo off) and on the way home i noticed a nice vibration from the rear under acceleartion from like 3k - 5k. smooth when off the gas. I'm guessing this is probably the issue. have to look into this, sounds pretty simple. though i am curious why it never showed up until after i got the alignment done.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well my swap is complete. Snapped some pics for thread posterity here. Very similar conditions presented as you can see. For the record, I have 121,000K. I have had this car [rather significantly] dropped on Konis (lower perch) and KG/MM Super Sport springs since approx. 32K miles.

Love those re-usable bands

A shot of the inner CV [driver's side]...and the extremely apparent wear. Note how niiiiiice the "non-load" sides inside the CV joint look ...the swap will take advantage of that smooth side.

This is a shot of the inner CV [passenger's side] wear. Still the "load" side presents some wear even on the passenger's side. But obviously, much less. And we don't care either way...cuz this swap appreciates the utilization of the lesser worn "non-load" sides.

Oh, and repacking the CVs required only one tub of grease. I didn't have time to order the Red Line. But I managed to locate some >> semi-synth << in town and it offered much better properties than the Honda/standard CV grease.

Thanks all for the information provided in this and linked threads. Great site as always!!!

- Dave
Old 11-12-2005, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by eepr5,Nov 11 2005, 06:21 PM
i just got my car aligned today (during which I found out that it seems the previous owner who put the tiens on never aligned it afterward it was sooo off) and on the way home i noticed a nice vibration from the rear under acceleartion from like 3k - 5k. smooth when off the gas. I'm guessing this is probably the issue. have to look into this, sounds pretty simple. though i am curious why it never showed up until after i got the alignment done.
While I agree that the problem is likely the CV joint surface, I had the original S02s do something weird to the car when I swapped them side-to-side to try to get more life from them. Doing this caused a nasty vibration at >70mph even though it never happened in the original locations. I even took it back and had them redo the balancing on a machine that loads the tire surface during the balance with little effect.

I bring this up since you didn't notice any problems prior to the alignment. Perhaps it's due to the tire wear caused by the previous alignment...
Old 11-13-2005, 07:26 AM

yeah, i havent' entirely ruled that out yet. i figure I'll give it a while and see if maybe the tires smooth out after my 2k roadtrip in a week. if it doesn't lessen up, i'll be looking into this.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got this done, luckily under warranty. And my car has been lowered.

All work, including parts came to $950. Definitely not cheap.

This is a great write up
Old 03-28-2006, 11:05 PM

yet another reason why you should never take out the delay valve on an 04+

anyone notice this is specific to ap1....
i pulled my car apart to prove it to myself, i have over 2000... yes two thousand clutch dump launches. i usually leave at 5500-7000 rpm, and i race nearly every day. i have mods done to my ap2, and have a stage 2 pressure plate on stock disk. my inner joints had ZERO wear. and i have 40k miles of severe driving. my trans has been apart twice (dont ask) LOL, and ive been through 3 disks (R&D) and 3 sets of brake pads. so my car doesnt get baby'd. ask anyone who knows me.
just my .02 about everyone removing the delay...in relevance to the inner CV wear, (yes it drives me nuts) later dave
Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 AM

hey Crew

been reading this thread , my car is sufferring all the symptoms you guys have pointed out here , ive got it booked in for the "swap" on monday .
Just wondering forthose of you who have done it , does the problem reacure ?
or is it a pretty permanant fix ?

your feedback would be much appreciated

Quick Reply: (axle bucket) Inner CV joint swap DIY with pics