S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Awful Vibration

Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awful Vibration

3 weeks ago my car started making a really awful vibration sound. Noise is coming from the top of the the dash in the middle. Doesn't make the noise when idylling but starts once car reaches 16mph. Even makes the noise when engine is off and car is moving. Sounds like two metal pieces vibrating together?? Have taken car to TGM Sport Racing and even Tom is out of ideas! Would like to know if it is worth completely taking entire dash out?!? I think we have established that it is not gearbox and not engine related. Any help would be really appreciated as driving the car is a misery at the mo! (Car reg 2000)
Jan
Old 11-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Can you describe the noise in more detail? What other sound that we are familiar with does it most resemble? Heat shield vibes, wheel bearing noise, engine knock?

I'm not suggesting its any of these things, I'm just trying to get a better feel for what the noise sounds like. I'm just suggesting you use the example of noises we already know to help us understand this noise.

One thought is maybe a flapper in the ventilation banging around? Try different heater/AC settings, fresh vs recirculate, fan speeds, etc, while noise is happening, see if noise changes at all.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Can you describe the noise in more detail? What other sound that we are familiar with does it most resemble? Heat shield vibes, wheel bearing noise, engine knock?

I'm not suggesting its any of these things, I'm just trying to get a better feel for what the noise sounds like. I'm just suggesting you use the example of noises we already know to help us understand this noise.

One thought is maybe a flapper in the ventilation banging around? Try different heater/AC settings, fresh vs recirculate, fan speeds, etc, while noise is happening, see if noise changes at all.
Hi
Thanks so much for your kind response. I can't think of anything it sounds like! It is a really harsh vibration which goes straight through you. It is like 2 pieces of metal vibrating against each other maybe? Nothing like the noise of wheel bearing or engine knock. Almost more of a grating noise which puts your teeth on edge! The rougher the road the louder and faster the vibration. Basically the more movement the car makes the worse the noise. Seems to be something connected with the chassis of the car?
I have tried different heater settings. Another kind person has suggested the A/C could be the problem and has said that it causes the sound to come from the dash? so going to try that out tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

" Even makes the noise when engine is off and car is moving. "

Don't think it's the AC, unless the car makes noise when engine is off and car is in gear. If it makes this noise rolling the car around in neutral --- you can prolly rule-out things attached to the engine by pulleys.

Maybe a wheel bearing gone bad, transmitting the noise into the passenger compartment. Via steering assembly?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

I didn't mean the AC compressor, I meant something like a broken flapper in the duct work under the dash. Something that smacks around when car bounces.