S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Auto tranny

Old 12-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto tranny

First off: if the mods need to move this its cool but I figured Id ask here first. OK, I am a Marine and lost my legs in Afghan a couple of years ago. I still have my S2000 (engine and tranny are pulled currently due to spun bearing before deployment) and desperately miss driving it. I need an auto as I cant push pedals, obviously lol. Well I bought an auto 350Z hoping it would fill that void and it failed. So I am planning to sell the Z and rebuild the S2000. I have been talking to National Speed in NC about doing the conversion. They seem excited about it but Im also hoping to find someone closer (East Tenn) that is also qualified. At the moment I am leaning towards doing a GM 6l80e, but the 4l60e is also a possibility but I like the 2 extra gears of the 6l80e. What does everyone else think? Any other tranny options that would work better? I'm planning to build the engine in the process for what it is worth. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111238038659?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

This may be an option. ls1 with auto in s2k. Not a fan of this mod but in this case it seems right.

Thank you for your service!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. There was a guy in the midwest who became paralized after an accident and had his clutch moved over to a "button" type on his shift knob. Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:10 AM

thanks for your service
Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

This past summer we had a paraplegic at the local auto slalom. absolutely awesome to see his dedication and without doubt the highlight of the event. Where there's a will as they say.

I'd look at perhaps a 240 sx transmission. wonder if there is a sequential box as an option.

best wishes.

darcy
Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Some people have experimented with a Quaife sequential tranny, if it could be made to work that would be really sweet, and wouldn't rob too much performance. If you go with the other options select the tranny with the most gears. Looking forward to a future post where you put up pics and vids of your finished project, all the best, I admire your spirit in pursuing this. If I was capable I'd donate time to help you out. Good luck going forward

Chris Barry had some posts about this tranny, here is his recommendation:

Fit a quaife 69 G box with a Geartronics paddle shift. The geartronics system has an auto mode where it upshifts/downshifts for you. You still have to use the clutch to get moving from standstill but from then on its clutchless paddle or auto shifting. If you don't have use of your legs then just include a hand clutch as part of the installation.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:49 PM

I considered an LS1 swap, that was my original plan. Then I decided that I wanted to keep the F20 in it, it felt too much like heresy lol. I also looked into the setup like the paralyzed guy did and didnt like it. I dont have enough hands to feel comfortable doing it. You need to steer, brake/throttle, and shift at the same time. I have the same issue with the sequential gearbox. I like the GM trannies cause I can build them relatively cheap and they will handle anything the F20 can throw at it. I have a Ford Raptor that I daily drive (amazing vehicle BTW), the auto is easy for me to drive. I dont have to overly concentrate. One hand steers and the other works the hand control (pull for gas, push for brake). This is the setup I want in the S2000.

Thanks for the love btw guys. I miss being in the community.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Where are you located ?, I might be able to gather some friends to give you a hand if you could use some extra elbow grease.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

You will never leave the S community, unless you decide to. Swapping out a transmission so you can keep driving the S is commendable. Thank you for your service to our country, and I'm sorry for your loss of legs. I'm encouraged to see you keep enjoying life and the S. Good luck with your project. I learned to water ski in a boat driven by a quadriplegic. He drove a vehicle, too. He just needed assistance getting in and out of his seats.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I'm Thinking keep original tranny with servo actuated clutch with hand input like a squeeze lever or button on the shifter. Modify the clutch hydraulic actuation not the tranny this way you keep manual tranny.

Need a custom electro hydraulic servocylinder to replace hydraulic clutch actuator and hydraulic pump or air over oil system. May be able to do it with hand squeeze manual pump so the prime mover is hand squeeze in replace of leg. Maybe all electric servo would work like the power steering actuator in replace of clutch cylinder. Sounds crazy but this can be done. look at replacing hydraulic clutch actuation not tranny.

Started thinking you may be too busy with hands with brakes and throttle. Theres f16 drone aircraft so should be able to controle a s with joystick everything drive by wire.

Quick Reply: Auto tranny