S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Auto A/C

Old 12-31-2014, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto A/C

Hi guys,

As the title says... I've searched a few different topics on how to turn the auto A/C off on my car [2004 s2000]

Everyone seems to say:
turn ignition on
fans off
temp to cold
ignition off
hold air con and recirc while turning ignition on
etc etc

Well I followed this EXTACTLY [even trying different things like just hold AC button while turning on]
But nothing works!!

What happens with me is, as im holding recirc and AC buttons while turning ignition on, the recirc button is lighten a constant orange. Nothing will change, no flashing, no light turning off.
I let go and its still orange until i press it to switch it off...

I then try to see if its worked anyways and it hasn't. As it always does, the AC comes on automatically when i turn the knob to the defrost postion.

Can ANYONE help?! It's driving me nuts now.

Cheers
Paul
Old 12-31-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

uhh... just wondering why you don't want A/C on with defrost. If A/C is not on, defrosting is not going to be efficient. It'll build up more moist on your windshield for a whiiiillllle.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dehumidifying isn't always necessary for defrosting. It's useful if there's condensation on the inside of the windshield but that's just one situation.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Procedure I used (courtesy Modifry Products). This allows you to turn the compressor Off if you want. Still comes On when Defrost is selected.

By default, all AP2 S2000s will force you to run the AC compressor any time you direct the air flow to the windshield. If you find this annoying this mod is for you.
This mod reprograms the AC controls so you can turn the AC compressor off if you want to.
Preparation:
1) Turn the ignition switch on, but don't start the car.
2) Turn fan speed off.
3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area).
4) Turn vent knob to all the way to the left (panel position).
5) Turn the ignition switch off.

Change the Programming:
1) Hold down both the air recirculation button and a/c button while turning the ignition switch on. Nothing lights up initially, keep waiting. After a few seconds the orange air recirculation indicator on the button will start flashing.
2) Continue holding both buttons until the orange air recirculation indicator stops flashing, then let go.
Operation:
When you first direct the air to the windshield the AC compressor will be turned on, but the system will now allow you to turn it off. The controls will remember your last setting (AC on or off) even after you turn the ignition off. But once you move the controls away from the windshield your last AC setting is forgotten. The next time you direct the air to the windshield the AC compressor will be turned on again but you will still have manual control and can turn it off if you want.

-- Chuck
Old 01-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. It's always bugged me that I couldn't turn off A/C when I was defrosting. Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:59 AM

Change the Programming:
1) Hold down both the air recirculation button and a/c button while turning the ignition switch on. Nothing lights up initially, keep waiting. After a few seconds the orange air recirculation indicator on the button will start flashing.
2) Continue holding both buttons until the orange air recirculation indicator stops flashing, then let go.

It's this section that i seem to have a problem with. As I hold down the AC/ recirc buttons while turning ignition on the only thing that happens is the recirc button stays constantly lit. As i say nothing flashes and nothing gives me any kind of choice.

It would seem that my auto AC is already turned off. ie as i turn the knob to windscreen, the AC lights up automatically, however i can turn it off by pressing the AC button.

I thought that when you disable atuo AC, that the AC will never come on until you physically press the button, it would seem this is not the case.

Thanks Chuck

Regards
Paul
Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Yours is working properly..

The "AC Disable" only allows you to turn the AC off while in the defrost position but it will still come on automatically each and every time you select Defrost.

You will restore the factory setting -- which does NOT allow the AC to be turned off while in defrost -- by disconnecting the battery (or pulling a fuse). My S2000 is in storage (in my garage) and I started her yesterday to run her up to operating temperature as Honda recommends. I played with the defrost and AC comes on when I select defrost but I can turn it off if I want. Just like this setting is designed to do.

There are posts on this "mod" going back to 2002 (!) with the same confusion that this does not prevent the AC from automatically engaging when defrost is selected. Lots of "mine doesn't work!" -- but it does.

-- Chuck
Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 PM

Thanks for posting how to do this again.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:31 AM

Thank you Chuck for helping me out, it would appear i assumed the AC would be off all the time when doing this trick. However it's actually meant to come on when we select windscreen... oh well

Thanks again

Paul