S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AUT Cooling Plate

Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clemson: I've been struggling with the same decisions lately. I picked up the K&N Filter as soon as I got the car and just last week gutted the box and sealed off the resonator hole. Definitely could tell a slight change in sound which I really like now and another thing I noticed is the VTEC engagement is smoother now, wasn't expecting that but I have to admit I'm very pleased with it, it's less "violent" now when I take it to redline.

I would like to do the snorkel but I don't see anything on eBay except one from NRG that's like $350 ... not even going to consider that, so unless anyone knows where to get a reasonably priced snorkel I'm just going to pick up the AUT plate and call it a day.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by LBC S2K,Apr 25 2008, 11:48 AM
Clemson: I've been struggling with the same decisions lately. I picked up the K&N Filter as soon as I got the car and just last week gutted the box and sealed off the resonator hole. Definitely could tell a slight change in sound which I really like now and another thing I noticed is the VTEC engagement is smoother now, wasn't expecting that but I have to admit I'm very pleased with it, it's less "violent" now when I take it to redline.

I would like to do the snorkel but I don't see anything on eBay except one from NRG that's like $350 ... not even going to consider that, so unless anyone knows where to get a reasonably priced snorkel I'm just going to pick up the AUT plate and call it a day.
I'm hoping that just having the new k&n filter in there will give me what i'm looking for so I do'nt have to spend money on anything else... I'll find out on Monday though when it arrives in the mail.

I might just get the snorkel for looks and I'm sure it does make a good difference in the ram air effect. Heres a couple on ebay that I found that are pretty cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000...sspagenameZWD1V Still CF
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000...sspagenameZWDVW Cooling plate and snorkel for cheap
Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 PM

I don't think you could use the snorkel with the AUT cooling plate. Also you may have to cut your hood if you use that snorkel, I think there is only one snorkel where you don't have to cut the hood.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 PM

Yea you can't use both, but I just thought it was a good deal
Old 04-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Clemson,

I started with removing the resonator portion of my airbox, then gutting the main box. I then ran a flex tube from the passenger side fender well into the airbox. I insulated the interior of the box rather than install costly heat shields which were but barriers anyhow. I also did what was know years back as the RadMat mod which simply added insulation over the radiator where the air passed into the airbox horn. Mine had "side wings" which acted to form a softsided intake box when the hood was closed. I added a Coastal Metal engine bay air director to further funnel air from the front of the car into the airbox. All this designed to increase cool air flow to the intake.

This configuration I ran with from 2003 until late last year. And my "butt dyno" as well as comments from others who made similar mods indicated improved responsiveness and of course sound. If memory serves one member did do a dyno and came up with a few hp improvement. The ONLY reason I went with the AUT was that my DIY radmat looked rather like crap. The AUT serves the same purpose with the insulation I retained under the intake funnel area and over the radiator. (BTW mine is painted sebring silver to match my car as opposed to the supplied carbon fiber weave.)

Were I a college student on a budget and not a retiree as I am now, I'd either do the DIY like I did or go with a proven aftermarket intake that had no risk of hydro-locking. The AUT is a nice add on but not in the bang for the buck category. Oh, and as an aside, the AUT quieted the intake back down quite a bit too.

Here are some pix of the before and after:

--Bob
Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 PM

If your a die hard do it yourself theres always the 'dolebludger mod' that involves using an aut cooling plate.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=365455
Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Apr 25 2008, 09:01 PM
If your a die hard do it yourself theres always the 'dolebludger mod' that involves using an aut cooling plate.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=365455
That's basically what I have illustrated in my post above sans grill snorkel
Old 04-25-2008, 08:06 PM

Yeah seeing your setup reminded me of that so just thought id post it
Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Apr 25 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah seeing your setup reminded me of that so just thought id post it
Yeah, Richard (dolebludger) and I exchanged PMs back in 2003 about these mods. I run a Coastal Metal front grill to protect my radiator which is a prime reason why I opted out of the snorkel. Plus I honestly didn't think I was loosing anything by not added it to my install; same with insulating the piping from the intake box to the intake manifold.

The AUT was a later add-on for both of us.

--Bob
Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Apr 25 2008, 09:25 AM
No your right, all it does is make it louder. But when adding the snorkle its recommended that you gut it, because the snorkle goes directly into the chamber on the left, and if that plastic piece is there its blocking most of the air the snorkle is getting.
Hi, I just have a thought.

If I don't cut the L-shape tube and the plastic piece, the air from the snorkel will directly go to the middle chamber. Isn't this going to create higher pressure and air will flow faster into the engine? (sort of like Mugen CAI) Or it is better to remove these plastic pieces to have more room for the air? (similar to J's and ASM)

Thanks.

David

Quick Reply: AUT Cooling Plate