S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AUT Cooling Plate

Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have one of these, i like the fact that after a stint of driving my intake box is cold to the touch where as it used to be hot.

as a side note i left my stock stuff inplace and just used this like a "cap" to grab any extra air floating around. seems to work out ok
Old 04-24-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 214 Likes on 147 Posts

[QUOTE=Hero,Apr 24 2008, 04:45 PM] the fipk does seal once you close the hood.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Clemsons2k,Apr 24 2008, 03:45 PM
I just have one question left that I am curious about.

Would cutting a hole in the oem radiator plate screw up the needed pressure it creates? Or would a hole under the airbox create better airflow?
Without a plate over the OEM airguide there is no point in cutting holes in it. If you look, you'll see several slits cut into the shield already by Honda. That should be enough, I wouldn't cut the piece unless you put a cooling plate over it.

Here is my setup and I kept the OEM plate under the Carbing plate.

I actually think the $40 heatshield does more than the cooling plate just because the difference in temperature on either side of the shield is so drastic after a long drive.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 24 2008, 03:21 PM
It seals against the hood, but its not air tight - there are gaps on the sides and bottom.
seemed to seal well to me, but i'll take another look at it tonight. I'll be under the hood anyways finishing my defi gauges install.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Old 04-24-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 214 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Clemsons2k,Apr 24 2008, 05:06 PM
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...=0&#entry848181

This guy did dyno testing with the fipk and stock airbox. Idk if he did the airbox mod with a k&n filter in the before testing, but the fipk gave him 4.9 whp.

But I see what your saying with it probably not being too much different than the stock airbox with a k&n filter in it. They are both sealed off from heat and both have the same filter. Only difference is that the fipk gets a more direct flow of air it seems.
This was OEM filter and K&N, so maybe K&N does add some power. Either way, I doubt the pipe from the filter to the intake manifold is doing anything to effect hp.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 24 2008, 03:51 PM
This was OEM filter and K&N, so maybe K&N does add some power. Either way, I doubt the pipe from the filter to the intake manifold is doing anything to effect hp.
True. I'm just gonna stick with the K&N drop-in filter for now I guess. In the future I may get a cooling plate for looks or even the FIPK for sound. We will just have to see
Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The FIPK does get better air than the stock box. It seals with the hood and then gets more cooler air from the fender hole. I mated it up with the AUT cooling plate you mentioned and I think it is a good set up. No intakes are going to give significant gains, but I'm sure there are a little bit there. Gains with the AUT and same with the intake air duct etc will only have gains where a dyno can't tell, going around 60 MPH on the highway where there is a lot more airflow that can be directed right at the filter.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 24 2008, 07:51 PM

The gains come from when you switch out the old dirty clogged up oem paper filter, to a free flowing clean k&n filter. I guarantee if you dyno a stock intake with a k&n vs a fipk you will not see a difference. I too am running the stock airbox with a K&N filter and its doing just fine for me. The sound IS great and everything but I rather put that money towards something that I KNOW will produce power or whatever else.

Clemons: You might want to look into a snorkle from ebay, or spoon if you wanna spend 4x as much for the name. Not sure if your familiar with it but it goes from right in front of the bumper to directly inside the stock airbox. Gets you cold rammed air into the airbox and the faster you drive the more air is getting rammed into the box. Throttle response is increased dramatically and the car just seems to pull harder as the speeds go up. The best intake setup IMO is the gutted airbox, K&N filter, and a snorkel. You will have to cut the oem radiator plate but it shouldnt affect anything since the snorkle will fill that hole up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000...sspagenameZWDVW
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Apr 24 2008, 08:25 PM
Clemons: You might want to look into a snorkle from ebay, or spoon if you wanna spend 4x as much for the name. Not sure if your familiar with it but it goes from right in front of the bumper to directly inside the stock airbox. Gets you cold rammed air into the airbox and the faster you drive the more air is getting rammed into the box. Throttle response is increased dramatically and the car just seems to pull harder as the speeds go up. The best intake setup IMO is the gutted airbox, K&N filter, and a snorkel. You will have to cut the oem radiator plate but it shouldnt affect anything since the snorkle will fill that hole up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000...sspagenameZWDVW
Yea I've seen those snorkles before. I was actually considering one of those originally instead of the cooling plate but then people started talking about the possibility of hydrolock and crap like that. I actually think the snorkle is a great idea, but would using it in the rain hurt anything? Also wouldn't it suck up dirt and crap and channel it directly to the filter?

I do agree though with spending the saved money on the FIPK for something else. Paying $200 for sound isn't worth it when I can just remove the airbox top if I want to be noisy. I'd rather put that money towards some CF goodies

Quick Reply: AUT Cooling Plate