S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AUT Cooling Plate

Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUT Cooling Plate

Alright, so I've read through this entire thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=133&t=308430 and several others on this topic. I still have a few questions though.

So based on your findings of the shape of the hood on the S and the pressure thats needed from the oem radiator plate, would the AUT plate even be benefitial in any way? It sounds to me like it would just cap off the amount of air reaching the airbox. The only benefit I see is that it directly channels the air to the airbox opening, but wouldn't this also allow very little to no air to circulate around the engine compartment for cooling?

I thought about buying an AUT plate until I read this thread but it seems like it wouldn't really provide a big enough performance increase for the money. More of a looks thing I'm guessing.

My other question is would it be a bad thing to just cut a 4x6 hole in the oem radiator plate on the side under the airbox? Would this harm the pressure thats been discussed? Just having a hole there should provide a better air flow to the airbox than those 3 slits on the oem plate.

I've already done the DIY airbox mod and I have a drop-in K&N filter on the way as we speak. I don't see the need to buy an aftermarket intake seeing as the stock airbox is very well designed (after cutting out the baffle and blocking the resonator). I will admit that the sound of an intake would be nice but I can just remove the top off the stock airbox if I'm feeling roudy . I'm also planning on buying a Samco air induction tube to replace the oem intake tube. Having a smooth path should improve airflow a little more.

So to sum up I pretty much want to know if buying an AUT plate is worth it and if the Samco tube with the 4x6 hole in the radiator plate would help with airflow.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 213 Likes on 146 Posts

The engine isn't air cooled, its liquid cooled. That's what the radiator is for.

More than anything, the plate keeps the engie bay clean and looks good.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 AM

I agree, if you're looking for gains I would look elsewhere b/c the difference is negligible and hard to tell. For the amount you would spend on the AUT I would just pick up a fipk or a cold air intake if you're looking for gains.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 24 2008, 08:39 AM
The engine isn't air cooled, its liquid cooled. That's what the radiator is for.

More than anything, the plate keeps the engie bay clean and looks good.
Doy! I knew that, lol. It isn't a VW beetle

So pretty much using the stock airbox isn't going to give me any gains at all? Even with the smooth induction tube, modded airbox, and k&n filter?

Hmm if thats true then I might as well just save the money and buy the FIPK I was originally looking at. K&N says 9.5 hp (which I'm sure is exaggerated so they can sell more) which is good with me. Especially at the 6k rpm range.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 AM

I just have one question left that I am curious about.

Would cutting a hole in the oem radiator plate screw up the needed pressure it creates? Or would a hole under the airbox create better airflow?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it when people overanalyze a $100 dollar part

Get it, try it, like it, keep it, don't like it, sell it. THEmfnEND.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Boofster,Apr 24 2008, 12:13 PM
I love it when people overanalyze a $100 dollar part

Get it, try it, like it, keep it, don't like it, sell it. THEmfnEND.
I'm off the subject of the AUT thing. I'm not buying that or the samco tube. I'm asking if cutting a hole in the radiator plate is a bad thing

And yes I overanalyse $100 parts seeing as I'm in college and I'm dirt poor, lol. I already have to pay off this car over the next few years...
Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 213 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Clemsons2k,Apr 24 2008, 01:10 PM
Doy! I knew that, lol. It isn't a VW beetle

So pretty much using the stock airbox isn't going to give me any gains at all? Even with the smooth induction tube, modded airbox, and k&n filter?

Hmm if thats true then I might as well just save the money and buy the FIPK I was originally looking at. K&N says 9.5 hp (which I'm sure is exaggerated so they can sell more) which is good with me. Especially at the 6k rpm range.
I'd bet real money the K&N FIPK doesn't do anything a K&N in the stock air box doesn't do, and I doubt it give real power gains. The K&N shield is not sealed and it gets air from the same place as the OEM box, so I don't see how it can make more power. Imo K&N uses power gains as marketing tactics, but you can get a FIPK for about what you'd pay for a cooling plate.

I have a K&N in the OEM box with a cooling plate. I think it looks good, works well, no complaints, etc.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:45 PM

the fipk does seal once you close the hood. You are not pulling in any hot engine heat.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...=0&#entry848181

This guy did dyno testing with the fipk and stock airbox. Idk if he did the airbox mod with a k&n filter in the before testing, but the fipk gave him 4.9 whp.

But I see what your saying with it probably not being too much different than the stock airbox with a k&n filter in it. They are both sealed off from heat and both have the same filter. Only difference is that the fipk gets a more direct flow of air it seems.

Quick Reply: AUT Cooling Plate