S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ATS Carbon Clutched LSD Anyone familiar?

Old 03-19-2004, 02:04 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

do you notice a difference in handling in the twisties? can you tell if your able to accelerate sooner at the apex in the corner?

fltsfshr
Old 04-05-2004, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've installed Rick's 4.57 and the ATS Carbon LTS. Only have 100 miles on the car so far, but I can report that the LSD is as quiet as stock. And the grip coming out of a turn is phenominal - day and night different compared to stock torsen. And I'm using Lubrication Engineers 607 90 W lube oil with absolutely no chatter. Unfortunately, I am getting a high speed whine from the 4.57 gears.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:52 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

fperra

thats what I wanted to hear.

Re nosie: I was watching them install some 457's with the .008 backlash and the comment was made by the installers that it was still pretty tight and was going to be noisy for awhile. I've heard the whine comment before.

How much sooner are you able to get on it in the apex? And were you able to apply more power without losing it?

fltsfshr
Old 04-06-2004, 03:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fltsfshr
fperra

thats what I wanted to hear.

Re nosie:
Old 04-06-2004, 08:36 AM

If your diff is locking up well, you should be able to at least feel some chatter in parking lots. If not, you might want to try using a less slippery fluid.

With my Kaaz, I use redline 75-90 lsd mixed with 75-90 NS (no slip) and then add friction modifier to smooth out the chatter to an acceptable point. The straight 75-90 LSD has too much friction modifier, so you don't get any chatter, but you also get some wheelspin (it starts to act like an open diff). The 75-90 NS has no friction modifier and it makes the car feel like the diff won't slip at all and is about to snap the axles in half when I turn. So I mix the two, leaving it kinda chattery and then I add friction modifier to smooth it out.

Make sure that as you add friction modifier you give the car some miles to work the fluid through the plates. Honestly, it will take about 100 miles to fully work the fluid in. I just did another rebuild two weeks ago (5 hours start to finish this time - go me!). It felt a little too chattery when I finished and I was planning to go back and add more friction modifier the following weekend. But as I drove it, the modifier worked into the plates and now it feels too slippery for my likes. Basically no chatter. I find the sweet spot is where the diff just barely chatters. Depending on your preference, it should be anywhere between ALMOST completely gone (but still very slight chatter when parking), or - if you prefer lots of lockup for that go-kart style feel - chattery, but not violent.

Personally, I find the car seems to take corners fastest with the fluid a little more towards the slippery side, but the car is more fun to drive and easier to drift with less slippery fluid (more lockup).

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:23 AM

No chatter with carbon disks.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by fperra
No chatter with carbon disks.
That's odd/interesting... Do the tires fight each other while parking? They should a little bit - at least on slippery surfaces.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:04 PM

Sorry to dig this thread out from the grave ...

I'm about ready to pull the trigger for the ATS Carbon LSD and informations have been scarce. For those of you who have this unit, what LSD oil other than the ATS's own have you experimented with good result? Did the custom blend induce any chatters?

Thanks,