S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ATE Super Blue

Old 09-25-2001, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did everyone get their ATE Super Blue?
Old 09-25-2001, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used both the Valvoline and the ATE (usually $9.98 a liter) and have not experienced trouble with either one.

The most common cause of spongy brakes is a bit of air. I can tell you that I have not found any speedbleeder that is reliable for extended use (could that be your problem?). It seems to me that all of them leak a tiny bit of air around the mounting threads because they loosen up after the first use. I have gone back to two person brake bleeding even with speedbleeders.

Frankly I have seen no difference in the performance of fluid once I got rid of the Honda DOT3 stuff.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:39 PM

I ran ATE in my VR6 Jetta and had no problems with it. I would run it again. The Super Blue/ Super Gold combination is very usefull for knowing when a flush is completed. Price was around the $10-12 range. I was also running the ATE brake rotors, I was pleased with the quality of their products. Damn I miss that car, too bad it had the reliability of a camel with diarrhea .
Old 09-25-2001, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who asked, I forgot to mention: I have never run speedbleeders. I would like to do something with Honda's bleed screws, as they are very loose. Has anyone tried teflon tape? I'm not sure if the fluid would eat it up.

Again, I can't say my problem wasn't air in the lines, but I was very careful bleeding and bled at least 2 liters of ATE through before changing fluid. Maybe I just needed to run 3 liters through, but I doubt I had that much air.

All things considered, Valvoline works well for me, doing the racing I think most of us do here. It's cheap and available.

UCrazyKid, that's one of the best quotes I've heard in a while!
Old 09-25-2001, 12:53 PM

cdelena:

This bleeder works nicely with no need for a second person. You first connect the tank containing brake fluid to the car's fluid reservoir and then pressurize the tank with a hand pump. Then you bleed each caliper normally as new fluid is forced into the system from the pressurized tank.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

This event, I ran Valvoline fluid and R4S pads. I didn't experience any fade during the sessions, and my brake pedal is nicely firm right now.

During previous events, running Valvoline fluid and stock pads, I got a good bit of fade, plus the pedal was woefully mushy for several days after.

I like ATE because of the blue/gold combo, but I don't see a need to replace the Valvoline because of any performance issues.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:45 PM
ITR

Originally posted by cdelena
I have used both the Valvoline and the ATE (usually $9.98 a liter) and have not experienced trouble with either one.

The most common cause of spongy brakes is a bit of air. I can tell you that I have not found any speedbleeder that is reliable for extended use (could that be your problem?). It seems to me that all of them leak a tiny bit of air around the mounting threads because they loosen up after the first use. I have gone back to two person brake bleeding even with speedbleeders.

Frankly I have seen no difference in the performance of fluid once I got rid of the Honda DOT3 stuff.
I was just wondering if I should NOT use the speedbleeders???
I was told that if you do bleed you system often, it is better to buy the thread sealant to seal the air out....
what do you think?
Old 09-25-2001, 02:50 PM

I get Ate from the local porsche shop. I also think it's OEM for BMW's so you might get it at a BMW dealership.

If you can't find it locally, OG Racing has either the Blue or Gold for $9.95 a liter. http://www.ogracing.com/ogshell/loadpage.p...31+catbrak.html

I highly recommend speed bleeders and have never had a problem with them. You get get them directly from the manufacturer at http://www.speedbleeder.com/

They also sell a bleeding hose that's the right size, it's only a few bucks and well worth it. http://www.speedbleeder.com/News.htm I don't have their new bleeder bag but it looks well worth it.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey
[B]
Expensive?
Old 09-25-2001, 04:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey
[B]I highly recommend speed bleeders and have never had a problem with them.

Quick Reply: ATE Super Blue