S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Armchair mechanics, test your skills...

Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd clamp the line running to the red circle (or disconnect it and plug it) and disconnect the line to the right of it going to the valve cover. You don't want to run like that for more than a couple days but, it should tell you if it's the source of the smoke. Without the PCV the oil will get dirty very quickly.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks, 'preciate it.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by foxy_s2k,Oct 23 2009, 07:40 AM
Yep, checked plugs, no oily deposits whatsoever, in fact, they looked like the engine might have been running a bit lean, very white. NO sign whatsoever of soot or oil induction. My mechanic knew this before he changed the valve stem seals. Hm...

Oil leak sounds interesting, will have to check. I already use 5w40 oil, thanks for the rec anyway. Plugs and oils were changed when the valve seals were done. Thanks for your thoughts.
well sorry to tell you this, but if you don't have oily deposits on your plugs you are not burning oil in the combustion chamber. Your mechanic should have checked that first IMO. Don't waste any more money on valve parts until you investigate the source a bit better. With that much smoke being produced the plugs will have evidence on them as motor oil doesn't burn well. I'll put some money on it that you have an external oil leak, get the car on jackstands and poke around underneath and see if you can find oil burning on the exhaust system/header. Address the pcv system as best as you can. Don't ever run without a properly functiioning pcv system, your engine will in worse shape without it. An oil catch can is the best way to modify the pcv system if one wants to go that route. Venting the crankcase is beneficial.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:36 PM

I agree with the above poster. Start looking for leaks. It could be some gnarly fluid leak from the
transmission or diff leaking onto the exhaust.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 PM

my bet is on valve guides... replacin seals might have fixed the problem for a limited amount of time, but bad valve guides will eventually lead to seal problems considering that the valve is not going up n down in a straight path... especially if ur driving it hard.

if it was oil leak u'd be seeing a blue tint to ur smoke... no?
Old 10-24-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Oct 23 2009, 12:24 PM
well sorry to tell you this, but if you don't have oily deposits on your plugs you are not burning oil in the combustion chamber. Your mechanic should have checked that first IMO. Don't waste any more money on valve parts until you investigate the source a bit better. With that much smoke being produced the plugs will have evidence on them as motor oil doesn't burn well. I'll put some money on it that you have an external oil leak, get the car on jackstands and poke around underneath and see if you can find oil burning on the exhaust system/header. Address the pcv system as best as you can. Don't ever run without a properly functiioning pcv system, your engine will in worse shape without it. An oil catch can is the best way to modify the pcv system if one wants to go that route. Venting the crankcase is beneficial.
+1. that much smoke should have a MORE than obvious source. have a friend follow you. is it coming from inside the exhaust or from under the car? do you have puddles in the driveway? have you considered a new mechanic since it sounds like he just threw parts at it without knowing? of course without seeing/driving the car, we can only throw guesses out there.

on our motor and the k, the guides are made of a softer metal, and they tend to have issues (mostly ap2s) which is why Endyn made newer better designs. it happens. doubtful on your car, but possible. only the exhaust side would be leaking though since a plug burning oil wasn't obvious to you mechanic (i wouldn't his diagnosis) but still get it looked at by someone that has a clue, he may have seen all 4 burning oil, but didn't know any better since they all looked the same. so he didn't say anything. just saying that when you have something miss diag. then you should get some of your $$$ back and get a 2nd opinion
Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 AM

Have you done any type of leakdown test yet?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:14 AM

As I said in the OP (or one of the responses), the mechanic did check the plugs, right in front of me (BEFORE suggesting it was the valve seals), and there was NO sign of oil burning, they were whiter than white, if anything a sign of leanness.

The mechanic does know what he's doing, he has a racing team, and only works on VTEC engines, he is trusted by members of this community. In fact, his confidence is probably what led him to rush into the diagnosis of valve seals without doing a leakdown (he was insistent that a leakdown was not necessary).

This thing about the guides has got me confused though, some say they could be the problem, others (including my mechanic) say definitely not.

The smoke is definitely coming out of the exhaust, not burning off anywhere else. There is no obvious leak. I'm still leaning toward PCV, and I'm gonna install a catch can anyway, they aren't expensive.

Doesn't the fact that it's intermittent and solved by a blast to 9k suggest anything to you guys...? I was hoping I had cracked the diagnosis when I noticed that behaviour. When it smokes, I only have to gun it, and it stops for the rest of the journey.

It's DEFINITELY burning oil. The oil is going down much more rapidly than it used to.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace PCV or ban
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 PM

gimme a chance!! It's the weekend!

Going in Monday.

Quick Reply: Armchair mechanics, test your skills...