S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A'pexi V-AFC VTEC point vs Honda ECU VTEC point

Old 09-25-2002, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A'pexi V-AFC VTEC point vs Honda ECU VTEC point

After reading a bunch of threads, i am still a little confused/don't understand about the whole "VAFC VTEC point vs stock Honda ECU VTEC point" issue

With the VAFC, there will be only 1 preset VTEC point for accelerate and 1 preset VTEC point for decelerate? So the VTEC rpm is pretty much fixed?

But with the stock Honda ECU, the VTEC point is variable (depends on the throttle position? i.e. not fixed @ 6500rpm?)

And having fixed VTEC point (i.e. for the case of VAFC) is bad because ... ??

if i install a VAFC, can i just turn it off and let the stock ECU takes care of everything?

i am still not sure if VAFC is worth the money/time or will it be bad for the engine on the long run ...

thanks.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stockae92
[B]After reading a bunch of threads, i am still a little confused/don't understand about the whole "VAFC VTEC point vs stock Honda ECU VTEC point" issue

With the VAFC, there will be only 1 preset VTEC point for accelerate and 1 preset VTEC point for decelerate? So the VTEC rpm is pretty much fixed?

But with the stock Honda ECU, the VTEC point is variable (depends on the throttle position? i.e. not fixed @ 6500rpm?)

Old 09-26-2002, 06:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

FWIW, Take your S (when warm) and wind up in first with partial throttle and it will wind up past 7000 rpm before the V-tec kicks in.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by SECRET AP1

I dont know who told you about the "variable" crossover depending on throttle position. VTEC will engage at 6000RPM regardless of if your at WOT or 10% throttle. VAFC allows u to set 2 crossover points. 1 is Lo to High and other is High to Lo.
That is not true. The ECU takes several variables into consideration before engaging VTEC. Some people have experienced VTEC engagement MUCH higher than 6K RPMs in the mountains.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]

That is not true.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stockae92
[B]After reading a bunch of threads, i am still a little confused/don't understand about the whole "VAFC VTEC point vs stock Honda ECU VTEC point" issue

Old 09-27-2002, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my vafc....it rules......I lower the vtec engagement point ...sometimes as low as 5200 rpm.....ya might not gain any power by lowering it so low....but the drivability is awesome. on the twisties the lower engagement even if it is only 800 rpm helps incredibly. Most people suggest only to go as low as 5600 or your lose some power...but drivability is big for me.....the 6000 rpm enagement is to high.....The kick that it gives is all the evidence i need...it should be silky smooth like mine is....also the vtec engagement is only a same part of the vafc. To me the vafc has been the best mod to date for me. Well......maybe the 75 shot of funny stuff.....but the vafc gets me really thinking....its like a mini brain...its way cool....with some leaning and the lower vtec point....
i never think that my ride is slower than usually or that it is bogging. its just a lean mean import machine! When i first got my s2000 i was impressed but also though after afew weeks....This car needs some serious tuning.....That kick at 6000 rpm is bad....that lower cam is working way to hard to get to that cross over point...and the bogging when ya first start out some times...after the aem cia and the vafc....my car is a different machine...it purrs.....cross over is smooth ...no bogging....My car right know is the way honda should have sold it. We'll maybe with out the funny stuff. But seriously....Not sure if it was for emissions
or what but the stock tuning was a little wierd. And the vafc enabled me for three hundred bucks to get into this cars brain....an tinker......