S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A'Pex V-AFC Controller - Thoughts and Questions

Old 11-10-2001, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to get my car tuned my them soon. I just need to take out my Fields VTEC controller, and put the VAFC in. Something is not right with my Fields unit, i think its haveing some issues. So im am going to put the VAFC in next weekend, and have it tuned sometime in december. I just had some cams and cam sprockets installed this summer too. So i need cam tuning and VAFC tuning. If you guys want i can let you know when i go up there for the tuning and you guys can check it out
Old 11-12-2001, 03:50 PM

How long does the install take, if you have to splice the wires? Could it be done in a day? Do you need to dyno it? I know dynoing would be best, but is it necessary? Thanks
Old 11-12-2001, 04:22 PM

Not trying to add another level of complexity, I have avoided the VAFC arena... but:

I have an SC with the Mugen ECU which removes all high temp engine retardations... and leans out the air/fuel ratio throughout most of the rpm band. When I dyno-ed last spring, I found that I was in fact running lean even though Comptech supplies a fuel pressure regulator that bumps up the pressure during high boost.

I gues the VAFC would help me richen the mixture at high rpms and add more high rpm power. BUT, if this only happens at WOT what will happen during normal driving? Since the VAFC is negated at anything other than WOT, would there be a difference between close to WOT acceleration and WOT acceleration?

I am thinking of seeing what Vortech offers in the area of fuel delivery and electronic timing/fuel systems... to maybe apply their R&D to my Comptech system...

Thank you for listening!
Old 11-12-2001, 05:04 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaner
[B]Not trying to add another level of complexity, I have avoided the VAFC arena... but:

I have an SC with the Mugen ECU which removes all high temp engine retardations... and leans out the air/fuel ratio throughout most of the rpm band.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[B]I have an SC with the Mugen ECU which removes all high temp engine retardations... and leans out the air/fuel ratio throughout most of the rpm band.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:12 PM

VPAC i think
Old 11-13-2001, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by DYI01
VPAC i think
Dan, what are you doing here?
Old 11-13-2001, 08:32 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

[B]Not trying to add another level of complexity, I have avoided the VAFC arena... but:

I have an SC with the Mugen ECU which removes all high temp engine retardations... and leans out the air/fuel ratio throughout most of the rpm band.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:55 AM

I agree with Pinky. When you get a new ECU, donate the Mugen to me for further testing.

I think the Mugen will be fine. Until something better comes out for the money, I think you are still better off with it than a stock ECU. I don't think it will hurt power over a stock ECU, though it will require different tuning. Since they both require some type of fuel tuning, though... at least the Mugen eliminates some temp restrictions as well as emissions.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:12 PM

check out AA speed and customs in woodbridge Va. they are a very good shop with a great rep. they might be able to help with install ....

Quick Reply: A'Pex V-AFC Controller - Thoughts and Questions