S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A'Pex V-AFC Controller - Thoughts and Questions

Old 11-07-2001, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A'Pex V-AFC Controller - Thoughts and Questions

I would like the revisit issues surrounding the V-AFC contoller. It has come up a number of times in discussions about FI (S/C & Turboed) cars. My car is normally aspirated and will remain so until prices come down on either the S/C or Turbo. I have researched past posts but would like some more up to date feedback.

1) What is the price range for the unit? Who did you buy it from and how helpful were they?
2) How difficult is it to install? Who installed it? I am in the DC area, if there is any shop that could be recommended that would be great.
3) Where did you actually put it? I don't want it dangling around in the cabin, I want it hard mounted. I think it looks cool too.
4) Is it easy to use? Are there pre-programmed settings or do I have to map the engine myself in 500 rpm increments. Where can I get guidance on how to do this properly?
5) Any changes to the ECU needed or recommended? Resets, etc.
6) Results: On the board I've seen folks see increases from 4-5hp to 11-12hp. While that is important, I am more concerned about drivability and reliability.

Thank you all in advance. I really appreciate your help.

EJ
Old 11-07-2001, 06:38 AM
Fed

Hiro, I currently do not have a VAFC but I've looked into it with much detail, since, I kinda find myself in the same situation as you in regards to the SC or Turbo.
[list=1]
[*]I have seen the unit online ranging from 300 to 350, I can send you some links if you want
[*]It is not difficult to install, it piggy backs on the ECU. The problem is, there are no harnesses currently available for the S2000, so you either have to:
a) splice the cable to your ECU (Definately void your warranty, because they will see that when you take your car in for service)
b) go to a scrap yard, find an old ECU from a prelude, civic or Acura, and make your own harness
[*] Most people have put it on top of their dash, I want mine hard mounted as well, most likely in the center console
[*]A lot of people have put up their own settings on the board, however, I would probably let someone dyno tune it for me to get the best settings for my area (settings will vary with temp, etc...) You will have to map every 500 RPM
[*] I don't think you have to maky any changes whatsoever to the ECU
[*] Reliability: You'll have to wait for someone who actually has one to answer that for you. [/list=1]

But hey, If you find someone in the area who has one, I'd love to see it!!!
Old 11-07-2001, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hiroprotaganist
[B]
1) What is the price range for the unit?
Old 11-07-2001, 09:53 AM

Thank you both very much. Its nice to hear that it isn't ridiculously complicated. I've been following some of the other threads and I was getting a little put off because it seemed overly difficult. I will speak with some shops in the area to see if they have any experience with it.

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most difficult part is the splicing and soldering, you do NOT want to use the connectors it comes with. Cut/splice/solder/shrink tube all the connections. It takes time and patience since if you screw up one wire something won't work (obviously). If you take the time to do it right (or the installer does), it generally goes without a hitch.
Old 11-08-2001, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fed
[B]Hiro, I currently do not have a VAFC but I've looked into it with much detail, since, I kinda find myself in the same situation as you in regards to the SC or Turbo.
[list=1]
[*]I have seen the unit online ranging from 300 to 350, I can send you some links if you want
[*]It is not difficult to install, it piggy backs on the ECU. The problem is, there are no harnesses currently available for the S2000, so you either have to:
Old 11-08-2001, 06:47 PM
Former Moderator

I assume you are talking about the post I started. I dunno what those guys got into talking about. It was pretty simple to install and I went from 199 to 213 rwhp. You'll feel it in the butt dyno too. Definantly more torque. I think you'd be happy with one.I say give it a go. pm me if you have any other questions
Old 11-09-2001, 05:46 AM

I think we should consider this the "non-controversial" V-AFC forum! Once again, thank you all for the help and advice.

1) If you do go to Altered Atmosphere, I would love to meet you there (I live pretty close by) and have a discussion with them about the V-AFC. I've heard good things about them. I want to talk with them about S2000 installation and tuning. We can go out for a beer or something afterwards (I don't think my wife will mind too much )

2) If anyone wouldn't mind posting a few links here about where to get a good deal on them, that would be great.

3) The conclusion I've made is that it is best to get the car on a dyno for the best results. Since I've never done that before (but am lucky enough to live next to a sweet facility), how much should I expect to pay? What kind of information should I know before I bring the car there? I guess it would be up to me to do the settings at that point, I can't just hand them the car and let them worry about it.

Once again, thank you.....
Old 11-09-2001, 05:50 AM
Fed

Actually, you could let them tune it for you. LEt e know if you guys go there, if you don't mind me tagging along.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:00 AM

Altered Atmosphere

I'll give them a call and see what the deal is on pricing.

Quick Reply: A'Pex V-AFC Controller - Thoughts and Questions