S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 won't start, desperately in need of HELP (located in Bay Area)

Old 07-01-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default AP2 won't start, desperately in need of HELP (located in Bay Area)

SOLVED

Here is the whole story. About 2 months ago, I was trying to e-tune my car via Hondata flashpro and prior to these events my car was running PERFECT, absolutely no problems whatsoever. So I pull up to a gas station one night ready to flash my ECU and do some datalogging, fill up a full tank, then uploaded a calibrated map to my ECU with the flashpro. CAR NEVER STARTED AGAIN EVEN AFTER RETURNING ECU TO STOCK. All of my map uploads were succeeded. It will crank and fire for half a second sometimes, but most times it will not fire at all. At first I was getting a CEL P2185 (ECT 2 sensor HIGH voltage). After doing some research, supposedly changing the sensor on the bottom radiator is supposed to fix the CEL. So I changed it and now I am getting P2184 (ECT 2 sensor LOW voltage). I tested the voltage on the plug and I read 5V. Checked all fuses and they are good.

I am dumbfounded as to why it won't start because this CEL should not affect it. I can hear the fuel pump prime and I am getting spark. I sent my original ECU and Hondata flashpro to Hondata and they could not find anything wrong with it, it was working 100%. I thought I had a bad ECU that was causing the immobilizer to malfunction so today I finally got around to swapping the ECU and reprogramming my keys to it. Still does not start, getting same CEL P2184, and all symptoms are exactly the same. So there is the whole story, I am getting incredibly desperate, frustrated, and due to my limited knowledge, out of ideas and ready to tow my car to the stealership. But before I do, if anyone here might be able to help me get my car running again, I would greatly appreciate it.

Video:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqm7-HUF3is[/media]
Old 07-01-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Start simple, verify you're getting fuel and spark at the motor. If you pull the/a spark plug you can also check to see if it may have flooded and fouled the plugs. I would also make sure your battery has plenty of juice.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you checked the main start fuse? I believe it's number 3. Also check that your crank position sensor isn't bad.

Fuse box diagram:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/i...5-fuse-boxjpg/
Old 07-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Start simple, verify you're getting fuel and spark at the motor. If you pull the/a spark plug you can also check to see if it may have flooded and fouled the plugs. I would also make sure your battery has plenty of juice.
Pretty sure its a no fuel issue since I pulled the spark plugs, changed them, and verified that I am getting spark. Old spark plugs were completely dry and all look pretty good but I changed them anyway. Battery is fine, starter cranks strong. Also car fires for a few seconds with starter fluid then dies. Sorry for the dumb question, but how do I check for fuel?
Old 07-01-2016, 04:47 PM

You're on the right track then, if it started with fluid then you're prob not getting fuel. To check I usually probe the injector plugs to see if its sending signal. Vanishing Point also brought some great advice. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Have you checked the main start fuse? I believe it's number 3. Also check that your crank position sensor isn't bad.

Fuse box diagram:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/i...5-fuse-boxjpg/
Fuse 3 is good. How do I check that sensor? If its bad shouldn't it throw a CEL?
Old 07-01-2016, 05:11 PM

Just to be sure, is the green key light in the cluster turning off when you try to start it?
Old 07-01-2016, 05:13 PM

Any other recent work done to the car? Other mods?
Old 07-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I Googled CEL P2184 = faulty coolant temp sensor. You check the all the wiring?

http://upkeep.us/OBDII/OBD2/Honda/piart.php?art=1674
Old 07-01-2016, 06:11 PM

Just to be sure, is the green key light in the cluster turning off when you try to start it?
Yes, I have the original ECU and another one I bought used that I programmed my keys to. Both ECUs do not show the solid green key light

Any other recent work done to the car? Other mods?
No recent work or mods done prior to flashing the ECU

Quick Reply: AP2 won't start, desperately in need of HELP (located in Bay Area)