S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 tranny fluid

Old 12-19-2005, 03:41 PM
WPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the key is to switch it often. im gonna switch mine everytime i switch my synthetic oil with the honda stuff.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Another important point made in that post (linked above) is that you need to be careful which fluid you use if you're concerned about your warranty.

GMSMFM is not a recommended fluid from Honda or GM. While it seems to work well in our transmission ... you're rolling the dice if you experience a failure and hope Honda will cover it. This goes for Redline as well.

Amsoil specifically developed this fluid to cover several manual transmission fluids. It's specifically listed as a direct replacement for Honda MTF and GMSMFM ... as well as several others.

There are several benefits.
You won't void the Honda warranty by using it (direct Honda MTF replacement), it replaces GM Synchromesh Friction Modified (has the friction modifier package that helps with troublesome S2000 synchros), it's a full synthetic (will last longer than a semi or non-synthetic fluids), Amsoil warranties against all oil related failures with their products, easy to order directly from Amsoil's site, and is cheaper than GMSMFM and Redline products (cost about the same as Honda MTF).

Easy choice in my book.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no affilliation huh....
Old 12-20-2005, 07:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toecutter,Dec 20 2005, 08:29 AM
no affilliation huh....
Always a heckler. Sorry for the length of this post to those not so cynical.

Well Toecutter, you asked for it ... enjoy the read.

Affiliation ... Yes and No.

Yes - in that I bought into a dealership in order to stop getting ripped off by independent dealers (~'95). At that time, the only way to purchase Amsoil was through an independent dealer.

No secret there ... I've divulged this time and again on this site.

No - in that I've not sold a single bottle of Amsoil for profit.
Let me clear the air further. I do not make any money from talking about Amsoil. Amsoil does not give me any kick-backs, or any money of any sort for talking about their products. I do not sell Amsoil in any way shape or form - I have no store front, physical address (business or otherwise) for selling products, and I have no internet business. I have no time to do it.

The bottom line is that I believe in the product based on my own experiences, from the experiences of others, from independent tests and analysis, and feedback from professional race teams that use Amsoil. Their oil products work.

For the record - I'm in the Navy, presently stationed in the Middle East. I'm a pilot with several ground jobs (in addition to my flying job) and most days barely have time to eat, sleep, and write a few emails.
I can't get Amsoil here (without paying high Hazmat charges) so I'm actually using another great synthetic oil while I'm over here ... LiquiMoly (German brand). My S2000 is in storage until I get back to the states hopefully in the first half of '08.

When folks have come to me to buy Amsoil, I point them to Amsoil's website, as I've done for every post on their MTF.

So here you go ... if you don't want to use Amsoil, that's your choice. There are several other great oils out there. Folks are as faithful to their selected oil as they are their favorite sports team. Waive whatever flag you want. I waive this one because the oil is proven.

I'm big on Amsoil MTF for all the reasons I've posted before - it's unique in that it combines the best of all worlds. It has the benefits of GMSMFM (direct replacement) , it keeps the factory warranty happy (direct Honda MTF replacement), and it's a full synthetic transmission fluid that's cheaper than GMSMFM (semi-synthetic), Redline, Royal Purple, Neo, or any other non-OEM fluids folks have tried or talked about. I also have a personal interest tied to the product.

I spent a lot of time talking with Amsoil's transmission products team trying to convince them to develop this product. My S2000 had transmission problems from day one and I immediately went to Amsoil to see if they had a product that could help. They didn't make a product suitable for any newer Honda transmissions at that time. Needless to say (if you've noticed the steady stream of posts about transmission problems) other independent interested parties, friends and fellow S2000 owners called and emailed Amsoil's tech line until they got the point and determined there was enough demand to produce a MTF. This took almost two years to come full circle. But it worked.
They took information provided by S2000 owners brave enough to experiment with unapproved products in an attempt to solve their transmission problems (GMSMFM for example). The result is Amsoil MTF.

Use it - or don't. I really have nothing to gain from it.
If I had my car with me right now ... it would already be in the transmission - no hesitation. I've been waiting a while for the product, and while it sucks I won't be able to use it for a couple years (not to mention not being able to drive my S2000!) ... I can't wait to try it when I get back.

Cheers.