S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ap2 tranny in ap1

Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resurrecting this one. I'm in the process of swapping transmissions, and I've come up to the point of the companion flange issue. I already ordered the ap2 driveshaft to trans bolts, and now I'm kicking myself since I found this. How does the companion flange come off though? One old post stated a wheel puller? Can anyone describe this tool, since I have no clue what it is.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:02 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have used an impact to remove the jam nut. Then you can used a standard puller. It is not really tight, I bet you could get it by hand.

So are you going to install the d-shaft and swap the flange at the diff? or just swap the flange at the trany and be donbe with it?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:44 PM

I just swapped the flange at the tranny. Ran into a bit of a hold up. The clutch pedal isnt receiving any pressure, i.e. the clutch pedal will not spring back. I tried pumping it a few times to see if that would restore hydraulic pressure but nothing. I'm thinking the ball that is supposed to sit in the clutch fork is not properly seated, since I did install the boot over it before trying to set it in place so I couldnt see if its in place properly.

The puller made it easy as hell to remove the coupling. Couldnt get it off by hand though, used an air ratchet.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 AM

Yeah I used a puller too. I just have swapped a few and just forgot what I used.

The clutch linkage has a few things that could have gone wrong.
1. Did you swap the clutch when you swapped the tranny?
2. Is the "ball" in the slave clyinder in the release fork? (I bet this is the problem)
3. Did you get the release fork back in the right location?
4. What else did you do when you installed this?

5. Did you install the throw out bearing right? Inside the clutch, on on top of the clutch?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Clutch wasnt removed, so yes the throw out bearing is inside the clutch.
Release fork is back in the right location, I agree that the ball isnt in the correct position. Though I gotta wait til wednesday to find out, since the auto shop on base here is closed til then
Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM

If it was not in the right location (ball) the slave cylindar could be hyper extended and need to be put back together.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Resurrection... a few weeks ago I did the swap to an AP2 trannie in my AP1.. thank you all for being front runners and all the excellent research you provided... it's quite a different drive...
Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM

Different good? or different bad?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 PM

tricky to describe... i love the 6th gear.. so i'm into 6th quickly an it's better for my driving style all around ( fuel too )... but.. i also love the closer 1st to 4th, except all my miles on an Ap1 trannie has me learning my shifts... which is only a matter of time... so when I do go into a corner and am used to where i was shifting and how that down shift or up shift felt.. this is different and takes getting accustomed to... the car pulls harder, and it's much more comfortable in highway traffic if i have to go from 6th to 5th or 4th an expect to pull away, it gets up and moves smartly... and not last.. but no idea where to place this part.. the shift feels smoother.. suppose that's to the different compound syncro's as i have read... feels nice...

so.. kinda both for now.. different good an bad.. and i'll sort it out... now on to my next mod tomorrow morning... oh yeah...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 AM

^ do u have stock gears with your ap2 trans??

Quick Reply: ap2 tranny in ap1