S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 totaled - should I buy back from insurance?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 totaled - should I buy back from insurance?

2005 AP2 with 129k in great condition. New tires (continental DWS) all four tires within a month. Seats are in good shape. Black and red interior.

I was in a wreck the other day. No frame or engine damage. Both airbags deployed, driver headlight smashed, bumper cover and quarter panel smashed, and a few other things in that area. Insurance deemed car a total loss, said I could buy it for $3,000.

Thoughts? Seems like a good deal to me, but not sure if it makes more sense to part it out or just keep it myself as a track car or whatever.
(P.S) Im in FL, the car is located in NC. plane ticket and cost of towing back to florida needs to be considered if I will be parting out.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy it back and fix it.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The engine/trans/diff combo would likely sell for what you're paying to buy it back.. Then the rest is profit. Just depends on if you have the time or desire to put into it. I would do it.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Buy it back and turn it into a cheap track car.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 219 Likes on 177 Posts

When I was in your shoes I thought about parting out but you will need a place to keep the car and it will take time to sell off all the parts and you will need to wrench, pack and mail. Was too much for me.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

First thing is whether you'd be buying to fix or buying to part it out. Parting it out is a lot of work, but you could sell parts for more than $3k. The question is whether it will end up being worth your time and headache - parting out requires a lot of space, and shipping large bulky parts can be a PITA. In the long run, I don't know if it will be worth it. Do this only if you think it will be fun/interesting, not because you expect to make a ton of money.

If you're looking to fix the car, find out what your insurance company is willing to pay out. Take off $3k to buy it back, and see what that leaves you. Then consider what it'll take to fix the obviously damaged compnents - quarter, headlight, bumper, hood (possibly), fender liner. Then you have to consider what else could be damaged that's not visible (could even be missing). Did the front wheel or the steering components get damaged? Are any of the suspension mounting points bent/moved? Is the knuckle still good? Wheel bearings? You've got deployed airbags, there's a cost to replacing those and their covers. Then there's paint - and a respray is never as good as a baked on factory enamel. That's just the way it is. And there may be things bent that you can't see - and won't be able to fix, ever.

In the end, you'd be left with a devalued car due to being branded as salvage. I'm willing to bet that the $3k + repair cost will put your smack in the ballpark of the depreciated value for this car with a salvage title. Might even exceed the salvage value, depending on if you do the work yourself or pay someone else. (Now someone is going to ream me for suggesting that, because they fixed up a salvage car on the cheap and assume anyone can.)

In the end, the easiest, most headache-free thing you could do would be to push for a fair settlement amount, get your check, and start shopping for a replacement.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have a place and the time to deal with it? The wheels, tires, seats, and drive train could sell up to double the price you would pay and the rest is valuable... but are you up to the task of being in the salvage business? Maybe a bigger hassle to fix on your own. This is more a personal decision than a simple financial one.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are prob around 6800+ to repair that from what I can see. If your insurance company is going to cash you out minus the 3k for scrap value, why not fix it and get back on the road.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Murphg05
You are prob around 6800+ to repair that from what I can see. If your insurance company is going to cash you out minus the 3k for scrap value, why not fix it and get back on the road.
Tack on another grand or two for a plane ticket and towing it back to FL. That hassle alone would make it not worth it for me.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:41 PM

I can't see the pics at work but from the damage you described $3k would be a great deal. I would buy it back in a heartbeat. I've always wanted to completely disassemble an S and it sounds like you wouldn't have to sell a bunch of parts to break even.. maybe just a few then the rest is just extra

Quick Reply: AP2 totaled - should I buy back from insurance?