S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 Taillight Issue

Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AP2 Taillight Issue

So, I have a 2005 S2000, I'm the original owner and have not done any modifications to the electrical wiring or circuitry to my headlights, taillights, or side markers.

The problem that I noticed recently is this:

I was backing out of my garage one morning, when I noticed that when I put it into reverse, the right turn signal light on my dash comes on dimmly, and my front right/passenger side, lower amber parking light dimmly illuminates and I can see the reflection of it off my grill sitting in my garage. It only does the above when the shifter is moved into reverse. Upon further investigating.. While the car was in reverse, I had gotten out and looked at the back of my car, to see if there were any other symptoms.. Which there were. When the car is in reverse, the reverse light on the passenger side tail light does not illuminate fully, but instead the turn signal illuminates, while the reverse light is very dimly lit..

Now onto another right/passenger side taillight issue..

I was being followed by a few friends later that evening to a restaurant, and they had mentioned that when I put on the right turn signal blinker, the taillight and turn signal blink intermitently together.. like, turn signal blink, tail light blink, turn signal blink, tail light blink... They flash/blink alternately for my turn signal function. So AGAIN, upon further investigating, I try the same function of my turn signal with my lights on AND off, in the restaurant parking lot... I see exactly what my friends had noticed. Also I'd like to note that the front turn signal and side marker both blink at the correct speed and rate as they are supposed to..

Now after these issues had been noticed by myself and others, I went looking for blown bulbs, bad fuses, and bad relays.. and came up with absolutely nothing. I pulled the connectors from each of the bulbs in the passenger tail light assembly along with bulbs in a number of sequences to try and narrow down the problem area.. I haven't come to a conclusion yet.

I will TRY and post a short video and pics later of what I'm seeing.. but, frankly, it's driving me crazy!!

PLEASE HELP!

Best,
Tylor
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I know it's not much help...but I used to drive old British and Italian cars...and that behavior is perfectly normal for them.

Just to make sure about all the facts...do you have an amp for your stereo? Or any other electrical additions, perhaps from Modifry?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No sir, stock stereo! But yea, there are no other electrical additions to my car that could have caused this! Ugh... It just came out of nowhere.. lol
Old 01-06-2009, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a boat trailer (not on s2000) and have seen similar issues when the grounding was not good between the trailer and car. Maybe there is a bad ground connection somewhere?

Mike
Old 06-02-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 with this issue as well... Was the answer to this ever found? Sorry to bring an old post back but I cant find anyone else with this issue.