S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 suspension on stock AP1

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Sep 20 2010, 03:26 PM
perhaps you haven't pushed it hard enough to notice the understeer?

but i know the ap2 suspension understeers a lot more than the ap1.
In my ap1, i've suffered quite a bit of oversteer by accident on the street, and a few times on the track. Still learning and trying to become a better driver. But do you think I should swap the full ap2 shocks and springs I recently acquired or just the fronts?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

a lot of people talk about the changes in spring rates between years, but there is little known about the shocks. I think there has been some tuning changes to the dampers over the years in addition to spring rate changes.

All I know is that my 02 drives so much better with 2007 replacements, I wouldn't go back to the old parts for anything.

If you want to try the fronts first do them and see how you like the setup, I think the handling will be much improved. If you get to the point where you get tired of the stiff ride then you have the option to swap in the rears. For me the improved ride was a nice benefit, if there was any performance trade-off it doesn't come through in daily driving conditions.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Sep 21 2010, 05:17 PM
a lot of people talk about the changes in spring rates between years, but there is little known about the shocks. I think there has been some tuning changes to the dampers over the years in addition to spring rate changes.

All I know is that my 02 drives so much better with 2007 replacements, I wouldn't go back to the old parts for anything.

If you want to try the fronts first do them and see how you like the setup, I think the handling will be much improved. If you get to the point where you get tired of the stiff ride then you have the option to swap in the rears. For me the improved ride was a nice benefit, if there was any performance trade-off it doesn't come through in daily driving conditions.
Thanks!

Now, I'm thinking of installing the ap2 rear sway bar. Do you think that is worth it as well?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by bboixtc,Sep 23 2010, 05:34 AM
Thanks!

Now, I'm thinking of installing the ap2 rear sway bar. Do you think that is worth it as well?
I thought the Ap1's had stiffer and larger rear bars, I'd have to see the specs comparing the two as they changed over the years. Do the suspension swap first then see if you want more oversteer or understeer then worry about the bars after that. Making too many changes at once may get you confused if you don't like the way it drives.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Ok I JUST swapped the ap1 for the ap2 shocks and springs and my car DEFINITELY sits higher. I tq'ed everything to it's proper specs. Do these ap2 shocks/springs need to settle? They have 7,500ish on them and were never taken apart.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Honda created ap1 suspension and ap2 suspension for a reason. The suspension is made for optimal performance for factory settings. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by bboixtc,Sep 25 2010, 12:29 PM
Ok I JUST swapped the ap1 for the ap2 shocks and springs and my car DEFINITELY sits higher. I tq'ed everything to it's proper specs. Do these ap2 shocks/springs need to settle? They have 7,500ish on them and were never taken apart.
I'm probably going to be picking up a set of Tanabe NF210's and throw them on the ap2 shocks on my ap1. Riding around in stock ap2 suspension feels so soft.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:00 PM

How does it handle , outside of the ride quality ?. The softness is in the rear end, as the rear springs are softer, but how does it feel going into a hard corner ?.

I don't know the difference in ride height, it doesn't seem like much to me. But keep in mind you're comparing worn springs and shocks with almost new parts. There will be some sag on the old springs which can account for some height difference, and the old shocks can be worn out creating a harsher ride. Have you taken the car into a hard corner to see how it fares in terms of handling, body roll , etc...
Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Sep 25 2010, 07:00 PM
How does it handle , outside of the ride quality ?. The softness is in the rear end, as the rear springs are softer, but how does it feel going into a hard corner ?.

I don't know the difference in ride height, it doesn't seem like much to me. But keep in mind you're comparing worn springs and shocks with almost new parts. There will be some sag on the old springs which can account for some height difference, and the old shocks can be worn out creating a harsher ride. Have you taken the car into a hard corner to see how it fares in terms of handling, body roll , etc...
Cornering, it's a little hard to tell because when I've over steered it was with my ap1 wheels, balding tires, and wet grounds.

Today the rear definitely felt more planted, I've been braking before the turn and accelerating in the turn and going out. I wish it felt stiffer so I'm hoping the NF210's will do the job.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 PM

yeah that's what I'm feeling with my setup, the car feels more planted, and to me it seems to handle better in hard corners. It feels like I can come out of the corners at a faster speed and with less body roll. The ride is definiitely more compliant and softer, but I don't mind that. I ditched my ap1 parts because they were jolting the car quite a bit over bumps, everything would rattle. The new suspension absorbs the bumps better, but it also handles well in the corners. It feels like the best of both worlds to me. But it depends on how you like your ride. Give your suspension some testing over the next few days. I found myself liking it better after a few days of driving on it and putting it through some hard corners. Any aftermarket spring will get you that stiff ride feeling. Good luck with your selection.

Quick Reply: AP2 suspension on stock AP1