S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 Rev limiter?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AP2 Rev limiter?

I feel like a total bonehead, but I missed a shift and over revved my motor a couple days ago. I got on it hard in first gear, shifted into second, then got back on the gas. Problem was I didn't get it all the way into second and when I floored the gas, the motor wasn't in gear (and already close to redline). The revs shot up well into the red for a second.

So my question is, did the rev limiter protect me here? I realize that mechanical over rev is a killer, but that wasn't the case here. Did the ECU cut fuel before any damage could be done? I drove the car about 5 miles home after that and it sounded and acted fine. As far as I can tell, no damage was done - I just want to confirm.

Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the valve cover and inspect you valves.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 AM

in neutral you would have hit the fuel cut.

BTW nice color
Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its fine I wouldn't worry about it. Its easy to do. Just be a little more careful.

For comparison, I've done that coming off the limiter in first and missing second under 14 pounds of boost and my motor is still running fine. Not sure for how long, but it runs lol
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Well that's reassuring. I'm going to have to work on those fast 1-2 shifts. They seem to be easy to miss in this car. Maybe I just suck at shifting the S. I still own and drive my previous DD - which is a 2000 Celica GTS. I practically never miss shifts in that car. Driving it everyday for 7 years probably has something to do this this, though.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 AM

That's not what I meant...I meant that it would answer your question and let you sleep easier at night since you'll see that there's nothing wrong with them. If there is then you'll catch it and be able to order a new set and have them installed before catastrophe happens. Either way you'll be able to sleep better at night regardless with relief whether the motor is fine or you know what it needs to get it fixed instead of wondering what if and giving yourself unneeded stress.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh,Jan 11 2011, 08:58 AM
Well that's reassuring. I'm going to have to work on those fast 1-2 shifts. They seem to be easy to miss in this car. Maybe I just suck at shifting the S. I still own and drive my previous DD - which is a 2000 Celica GTS. I practically never miss shifts in that car. Driving it everyday for 7 years probably has something to do this this, though.
If the car is new to you, slow down. It's less costly to learn slowly then to fail quickly. Next week you'll be telling us how you went from 4th to 3rd and then you'll be in for some trouble.

Get use to the car. This car isn't going to like you slamming it into gears. It generally likes slower shifts.

Best of luck
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk,Jan 11 2011, 08:00 AM
That's not what I meant...I meant that it would answer your question and let you sleep easier at night since you'll see that there's nothing wrong with them. If there is then you'll catch it and be able to order a new set and have them installed before catastrophe happens. Either way you'll be able to sleep better at night regardless with relief whether the motor is fine or you know what it needs to get it fixed instead of wondering what if and giving yourself unneeded stress.
I don't have the resources or technical expertise to be able to properly inspect the valves myself. It would have to be done by a Honda technician, which would be $$$. That is obviously a route I would like to avoid if possible.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Contact Billman250 and he can guide you through an enspection... Taking the valve cover off is much easier than people make it out to be.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Jan 11 2011, 08:01 AM
If the car is new to you, slow down. It's less costly to learn slowly then to fail quickly. Next week you'll be telling us how you went from 4th to 3rd and then you'll be in for some trouble.

Get use to the car. This car isn't going to like you slamming it into gears. It generally likes slower shifts.

Quick Reply: AP2 Rev limiter?