S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 pops out of second gear

Old 03-17-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sheesh, I hope mine doesn't have this issue. The warrenty is expired for my car
Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 PM

I've had it happen twice but I also thought it was just from not engaging the gear all the way. Since it happened the second time I make sure I'm all the way in gear before letting the clutch out and it never happened since. I might check out the TSB though, worse case scenario it will be logged as a complaint for the future.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 AM

In fairness to INTJ, I think they might have replaced a shift fork as well, since this was before the TSB was published and they didn't want to have to do a tear-down twice. It corrected the issue, and behaved exactly like the tolerance issue described in the TSB.

Torque reversal on decel causes it to pop out, so if the synchro wasn't fully engaged or the shift fork is bent, I think you get the same symptom either way. It was very difficult to replicate. Took several slow jaunts to redline with abrupt decel, in 2nd.

-int212
Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 PM

thanks guys replicating this is a big problem for me.....i have an after market clutch but it was doing this before the new clutch....the clutch setup i have is just an ACT PP and a honda oem disc. i have a feeling if i get this on tape they will drop the tranny and see the PP and void my warranty....think i can make a case even with the PP or should I not even bother and try and live with this intermittant problem?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '06 does this--pops out of 2nd on decel from higher rpm's. It only does it for me, but that may be because I'm the only one putting the car up in the rev range in 2nd gear. I don't do that when the car is cold. 2nd is the only gear it happens with. My MTF is fresh. That made no difference. This is the only thing I don't love about my car. Because no tech has been able to replicate it, I have no diagnosis. But at this point it makes no sense to me that it's "user error" since I'm careful to shift properly and it's an intermittent--though frequent--thing. Any help diagnosing this would be most appreciated.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

First off, happy 10th anniversary to this thread.

You may have some success with a technique that smoothes put any rpugh edges on gears. It involves driving in second, at very high rpm, and violently letting off then mashing down gas pedal in quick succession. The idea is to hammer down any rough edges. If it doesn't make you feel sick, you're not doing it hard enough. It should be a very fast, very intense off-on-off-on, etc.

Try it, see if it helps.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

I too went through 2nd gear pop out, there's nothing scarier then making a fast left turn on a yellow light with oncoming traffic when that happens... the potential accident on the road and in my pants left me researching endlessly for a solution. Here's a mega thread on it and I'm the last post (page 11) detailing what I did to resolve the issue. It's been 30,000 miles since the last pop out.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...307448/page11/

To further expand on what I wrote, after changing the fluid, with it cold, shift normally through all the gears 1-6 then back down about 30 times. Don't go fast or crazy, just be very cognizant of what you're doing. Then start her up and do this again warm. Do this over several days, even a week. Also make sure to shift down after you've stopped, to complete going through the gears. The premise here is that your synchros have some flexibility to them and can be reshaped (to a degree of course). Adding the Amsoil oil is also a force multiplier, I kept finding the same fluids with people that had problems, but Amsoil was not on that list (Mobile 1, GM Synchro and OEM stuff seemed to be a problem after many miles or spirited driving).

I hope this help you like it did me.
The following users liked this post:
Kobruh18 (08-07-2024)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replied on the older thread but I'll say here too--thanks, and yes, I think I will try it; too cheap and painless not to. What do I have to lose? Not much. It'll get fixed one way or the other. I'm not stressing over it. If this were to work, that would be fantastic.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a pretty common issue with Honda manual transmissions. Had the issue in a 2014 Accord coupe, and seen a video with new Civic Type Rs' with the issue. For what ever reason Honda hasn't addressed it.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:54 PM

I also had second gear popout on my 04. Fresh Honda MTF didn't help, but after switching to Amsoil I haven't experienced it for two years.

Quick Reply: AP2 pops out of second gear