S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 clutch disc/PP/flywheel

Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Its not 7 lb, its 7 lb of rotational mass, so the difference in force has a larger effect than you think. The part is not sitting still like if it were on a scale, its spinning and holding a large amount of energy. The clutch system is about energy transfer, not weight.

Fwiw, people have tested the system before. First removed the CDV from the system, and found there was still slip. Then changed to an AP1 flywheel and the slip was gone. Some others changed the pp only and the slip was gone. Its just hard finding these posts since a- its a bulletin board and b- not everyone is honest with themselves about the changes. I've been around since the beginning of these discussions, and tried some of these setups myself.

An easy test you can do yourself is go out, get to 5k rpm and perform a clutch drop. While allowing the system to properly cool in between runs, do the same in 1k increments and you'll see that the slip gets worse as rpms go up, indicating its related to flywheel/pp energy. There is no slip at 5k, but by the time you get to 8k, you will see about 2-3 seconds of float. That is way too long a time to attribute to the CDV, btw, its the friction disc slipping along the flywheel.

The AP2 flywheel itself doesn't cause the disk to wear more, its the lack of force to bind up the flywheel and friction disk. Thats why people have settled on two solutions, or a combination of them - lighter flywheel, or firmer pp. Or of course, just shifting slower at a redline shift.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Its not 7 lb, its 7 lb of rotational mass, so the difference in force has a larger effect than you think. The part is not sitting still like if it were on a scale, its spinning and holding a large amount of energy. The clutch system is about energy transfer, not weight.

Fwiw, people have tested the system before. First removed the CDV from the system, and found there was still slip. Then changed to an AP1 flywheel and the slip was gone. Some others changed the pp only and the slip was gone. Its just hard finding these posts since a- its a bulletin board and b- not everyone is honest with themselves about the changes. I've been around since the beginning of these discussions, and tried some of these setups myself.

An easy test you can do yourself is go out, get to 5k rpm and perform a clutch drop. While allowing the system to properly cool in between runs, do the same in 1k increments and you'll see that the slip gets worse as rpms go up, indicating its related to flywheel/pp energy. There is no slip at 5k, but by the time you get to 8k, you will see about 2-3 seconds of float. That is way too long a time to attribute to the CDV, btw, its the friction disc slipping along the flywheel.

The AP2 flywheel itself doesn't cause the disk to wear more, its the lack of force to bind up the flywheel and friction disk. Thats why people have settled on two solutions, or a combination of them - lighter flywheel, or firmer pp. Or of course, just shifting slower at a redline shift.
We shall see. I understand the concept of rotational mass. The 7 lbs. is not something like you said you put on a scale. I guess we will see what happens, I have aAP1 flywheel here now, so if I don't like it I will put a Ap1 flywheel in there and a new disc and be set!