S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 Clutch Buzz?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i have it too....the car developes shakes and rattles you get used to..it is not quiet or smooth, you experience most of the road noise and air noise...you can chase down each noise if you wish, but it is normal to a point.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've grown used to it, but it's still definitely there and noticeable. As far as I know, the car was entirely stock when I bought it from a dealership. At least everything else is.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

I've driven countless 2002-2009 s2ks.

Not one has ever had a clutch buzz like the early cars. I'd love to drive an ap2 car that someone claims to have clutch buzz.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have it on my 05 under decel, although it's not anywhere near as loud as my friends 00 ap1.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k
No OEM clutch used after MY02 has the same buzz under decel the MY00-01 had. If your clutch is buzzing under decel you've got an aftermarket clutch disc. Original discs used after MY01 do not make the same noises. You may be hearing a noise under decel, but it's not the same that was described in the now very old TSB.
This.

Clutch buzz was fixed by the time the AP2 came out. You have a used car and could have an aftermarket clutch disc.

In all the time I've been around here, I've never seen an AP2 owner complain about clutch buzz, and never heard or experienced it like on the AP1s I've driven/been in.

Can you take and post a video from in the cabin to show us?

1. Happens noticeably on deceleration, although I can hear it most all the time while driving.(Typical symptom)
2. When I push the clutch in, the noise disappears whether I'm in gear or not.
1. Its a new-to-you car
2. Its a seven-year-old car
3. What you describe sounds like a bad throw-out bearing.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I've driven countless 2002-2009 s2ks.

Not one has ever had a clutch buzz like the early cars. I'd love to drive an ap2 car that someone claims to have clutch buzz.

We are in the same boat.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM

I'll try and take a video of it, but I doubt my camera will pick up the noise. It sounds exactly like what people have described as clutch buzz, in almost every way. Otherwise, I do not have any personal experience with an AP1 with the infamous buzz.... hence my original question.

As far as it being a throwout bearing, I doubt it because I've heard the sound of a bad throwout. And the car only has 34K miles, was garage kept and babied. But who knows, this is my first S2K and I am learning something about it everyday. Thanks for the information and I'll look into other possibilities as the cause for the noise.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM

I know what the op is talking about to some extent my MY08 has developed the same thing within the last year or so. It's a rattle almost during deceleration in a lower gear but normally its only after I'm getting into it and am slowing down but again thats the only time I hear it. It sounds like a vibration of some sort. That's only time I hear it so I just look past it. Bought car brand new so I know its oem original clutch. Also a strange click or clunk when first starting to reverse like the moment just prior to wheels turning backwards there's a noticeable sound? Any ideas?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaBlu2k
I know what the op is talking about to some extent my MY08 has developed the same thing within the last year or so. It's a rattle almost during deceleration in a lower gear but normally its only after I'm getting into it and am slowing down but again thats the only time I hear it. It sounds like a vibration of some sort. That's only time I hear it so I just look past it. Bought car brand new so I know its oem original clutch. Also a strange click or clunk when first starting to reverse like the moment just prior to wheels turning backwards there's a noticeable sound? Any ideas?
You are one of a few different people with this issue. I guess it's extremely uncommon to come across.(if it is clutch buzz!)

I know Honda transmissions naturally have some backlash in the Reverse gears and it can be heard when reversing, then pushing in the clutch. I've also heard of the rear axles being under torqued at their mounting hubs from factory and creating a click/clunk when engaging reverse. Should be able to search for that one.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:35 AM

Bringing this one back up. I have AP2 clutch disc that has plenty of material on it, about 8mm thick, 1.0-1.1mm to the rivets. The springs are not 100% tight in the cages, some play. Will this certainly cause Buzz? as in new/good disc has zero play?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: AP2 Clutch Buzz?