S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 2nd gear grinding MY06, Anyone else ?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ch0pper,Feb 3 2009, 11:09 AM
I didn't think there were that many techniques you can perform ?
It's kind of a basic funtion, or I'm not understanding the question.

I always put the clutch in before moving from one gear to another. Anyway, I've been delaying the 1-2 shift, and haven't grinded yet. For example, Rev to 7k, clutch (1 mississippi), then shift. Been working so far... I've been beating on the car more testing all these different methods more than I ever do in a given week, lol.

Also just to emphasize, the griding I report, ONLY happens under hard acceleration ... from 1st gear to 2nd.
the coronation ? i donno, have a service tech drive it and see what they say
Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 PM

^happens on mine too so its most likely normal...After you get used to it and you do a couple of back2back redline shifts it gets more natural. every so often tho i still hit the 2nd too fast and it grinds.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to update this thread, I've also been hearing a slight grind upshifting to 3rd as well.
Unlike my 2nd gear grind which usually only happens under heavy acceleration, the 3rd gear can happen at any speed. It's not the horrible grind like the 1-2 shift is, but a grind nevertheless. I surely wouldn't call it normal sounding.
I know our trans are mechanical sounding in nature anyway, but this doesn't seem normal.
I have an appointment to take it to Honda next week for them to look at it.
My service advisor also mentioned something about a possible bent shift fork ?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CDV valve still in place? It sounds to me that you may only need a clutch adjustment. A bent fork is also possible. GL with the dealer and keep your fingers crossed that it's only the adjustment.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 AM

Yes, CDV is still in place. I've never had a problem with it interfering like others here complain about.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a trait of this transmission and has been for ten years... small improvements have been made in later years but this is just not going to change. A complaint in '99 and still one in '09.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena,Jun 24 2009, 11:43 AM
This is a trait of this transmission and has been for ten years... small improvements have been made in later years but this is just not going to change. A complaint in '99 and still one in '09.
Thats just the way it is . I suggest you modify youre shifting . I have dealt with this issue forever and even replaced the trans with an ap2 unit . It will still grind if i get sloppy with that shift . The best advise i can give you is to try and not pull the shifter out of 1st until the clutch pedal is FULLY depressed . This should solve the problem as it did for me . I also change the mtf every 7k or so .
Old 06-24-2009, 02:59 PM

man i had the same issue last time i changed my fluid. i used a synthetic fluid and when i first started up my car it would grind into 2nd, it bothered me so bad man because i only drive a mile to work on base from where i live so there is no way it would ever warm up in time. it bothered me so bad that i almost considered selling my car. synthetic fluids dont work well until they get up to a warmer temperature. anyways i re-serviced the tranny fluid last week with a non synthetic, and no i have no problems with it. so now instead of selling, i just got wheels in today, and an intake, to go along with my zex 75 shot :-)
Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Another Update:

About 3 weeks ago I took the car to Honda and they replaced 2nd,3rd, and 4th gear, gearsets.
No more grinding. Yet

Some other things I've noticed.
Now, I feel the pressure plate slip, and I had never had that happen in my car. I have felt it in other AP2's and even in AP1's but never in my MY06.

Also, and this may just be mentally but I don't think so... The upshifting just doesn't seem very smooth.

What makes it unusual is that rev-matching and downshifting is smoother than upshifting. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Is it possible I need the clutch adjustment now ?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_ks_001,Feb 2 2009, 08:08 PM
I have the same problem when im leaving my driveway and heading down the street in front of my house it kinda lurches into 2nd gear. However if i get on it after the car has been heated up 2nd gear usually will only grind if i dont slam it into second gear because i limp wristed it.
Ya it seems whenever I "limp wrist" it, especially when the car's not warmed up it is more prone to grinding. However, if I make my shift fairly quick, it doesn't. People are always commenting on how you should shift slow, but in my case I need to shift quick or else I'll grind.

**** limp-wrist shifts.

Quick Reply: AP2 2nd gear grinding MY06, Anyone else ?