S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 won't start when it's hot or turn over!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 won't start when it's hot or turn over!

Whenever my s2k is hot, even if it's been sitting in the sun parked, it refuses to start. The dash lights all work and the ignition seems to be ok but when I press the start button the car won't even turn over. Yes I can hear the fuel pump and the dash lights cycle as if it were starting but nothing happens. The starter doesn't even click. So far I've changed the starter and all the ground wires and cleaned all the connections. Battery is also new. I've searched and searched and I haven't been able to find anyone having quite exactly the same issue that I'm having. It's been getting progressively worse and has been going on for a couple years now. Once I push the car into the shade or let it cool down it fires right up. THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE! Someone steer me in the right direction! I'm going to try a main relay, does anyone know where it's located?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the engine is not cutting off when driving, I would think it has something to do with a relay or fuse (maybe?) that sends power to the starter. Especially since you say it is progressively getting worse. Maybe you just have a relay on it's way out that is expanding from the heat and not allowing juice to get to the starter. At some point it may stop working hot or cold.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM

While you're at it, it may not hurt to just check the starter as well. i know older corvette's had issues with the starter not cooling down and once hot it would bind up and the car wouldn't start, so it may be worth it to check that if you can.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by redrum239
While you're at it, it may not hurt to just check the starter as well. i know older corvette's had issues with the starter not cooling down and once hot it would bind up and the car wouldn't start, so it may be worth it to check that if you can.
I've changed the starter, which is a mega pain in de ass by the way, to no avail. I'm thinking the main relay? But I can't find it! Anyone know where it is? under the dash maybe?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dubtown
Originally Posted by redrum239' timestamp='1366855848' post='22497676
I've changed the starter, which is a mega pain in de ass by the way, to no avail. I'm thinking the main relay? But I can't find it! Anyone know where it is? under the dash maybe?
It is in the fuse box under the dash I believe. You also have fuses in the box next to the battery that should be looked at. And, it could also possibly be the switch on the clutch pedal. If you have the tools to do it, try and find where the break in power is. Power goes from the batt to the fuse box, then to the start button on dash, then to the starter. But you have the relay and clutch switch in between that could be preventing power from being sent to the starter.