S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ap1 whistle

Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ap1 whistle

I have an 03 S2000. it has about 84k miles on it and I've hit a few problems with it.

The most annoying one is a strange very high pitched squeaking when I'm on the gas. well if i press the gas slightly it doesn't do it and when i floor it it doesn't do it either but when I'm anywhere in between it has a high pitched noise that comes from the engine bay that's absolutely horrible! i was told it might be a lose hose so i checked all my hoses they are all fine then i figured might as well try changing the PCV valve and didn't do anything. I'm not sure if it goes hand in had with another problem but my car also idle's around 800rpm 850 when it's warm and when I put the top up or down or even just turn my lights on the RPM'S drop to around 500 600 and feels like its about to idle. like i said i have no idea if they are together but just saying.

also what is the right fluid to put in the differential? I've been told so many different ones and also have been told honda changed it a few times so that would be great as well!

thank you for your time and thank you for any help you can give me!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Any changes to the intake system ?, an aftermarket intake or even a K&N drop-in filter can do this.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM

I think I have the same thing its strange its at an exact point some where between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle, doesnt matter about speed or RPM just throttle position.
mine isnt to unbearable but really strange and dont know where to start looking, just though it has something to do with the air speed whistling through somewhere on or in the intake.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The N/A Way
I think I have the same thing its strange its at an exact point some where between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle, doesnt matter about speed or RPM just throttle position.
mine isnt to unbearable but really strange and dont know where to start looking, just though it has something to do with the air speed whistling through somewhere on or in the intake.
^ This = me also. Multiple intakes. I tell everyone its my mini turbo whistling...

OP, to put your mind at ease a little. Mine's been doing this since I purchased it @ 18k miles or so. I am now at 97 and change. I don't want to tell you to not worry about it but it has caused me no problems whatsoever.

Your other issues are seperate from the whistling. Your idling problem sounds like a dirty IAC Valve.

Guide to cleaning it here.

Try this first. It's cheap, you can do it yourself, and you'll learn a bit about your intake workings.

Moving on... Differential fluid is preferential just like any other fluid you put in a vehicle. Just make sure is 75w90. Mobil makes some good stuff. This is what I used.

Here's the DIY for changing the dif fluid.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Any changes to the intake system ?, an aftermarket intake or even a K&N drop-in filter can do this.
I have an injen cold air intake.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by The N/A Way
yes that's exactly how it is. I try and say the same but i drive 45 minutes to work and same back haha so that noise gets very old after 25 minutes to the point where i just blast my music haha

also i just hit a new problem. my passenger window just joined my driver side window by being broken... the motor is fine but the window on both sides just fell about 2 months apart and now im assuming is the bracket or whatever the correct term for it is. i was just wondering if it was common?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

That's totally normal. My AP1 does this with a stock intake box and a snorkel. I can hear it over my T1R exhaust. It's caused by air rushing past the throttle body and making a whistling noise...similar to blowing over the top of a bottle.

To get rid of it, you can turn the idle screw counter clockwise a bit on the throttle body. Your IAC will adjust itself to make up for this in a while...so it won't affect anything.

Ignoring it is the easiest fix. It's a normal thing. A lot of Hondas do it.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
That's totally normal. My AP1 does this with a stock intake box and a snorkel. I can hear it over my T1R exhaust. It's caused by air rushing past the throttle body and making a whistling noise...similar to blowing over the top of a bottle.

To get rid of it, you can turn the idle screw counter clockwise a bit on the throttle body. Your IAC will adjust itself to make up for this in a while...so it won't affect anything.

Ignoring it is the easiest fix. It's a normal thing. A lot of Hondas do it.
thanks for the information! I will try the idle screw and if it doesn't work I'll deal
Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Completely normal, dc5's, ek9's,dc2's all do it it's the throttle body nothing to worry about!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hlove44
I have an 03 S2000. it has about 84k miles on it and I've hit a few problems with it.

The most annoying one is a strange very high pitched squeaking when I'm on the gas. well if i press the gas slightly it doesn't do it and when i floor it it doesn't do it either but when I'm anywhere in between it has a high pitched noise that comes from the engine bay that's absolutely horrible! i was told it might be a lose hose so i checked all my hoses they are all fine then i figured might as well try changing the PCV valve and didn't do anything. I'm not sure if it goes hand in had with another problem but my car also idle's around 800rpm 850 when it's warm and when I put the top up or down or even just turn my lights on the RPM'S drop to around 500 600 and feels like its about to idle. like i said i have no idea if they are together but just saying.

also what is the right fluid to put in the differential? I've been told so many different ones and also have been told honda changed it a few times so that would be great as well!

thank you for your time and thank you for any help you can give me!
Sounds like an alternator whine maybe, this would also may be why the rpms drop when you use anything electrical. most autopart stores can test your alternator and battery.