S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 valve stem seal spring missing after retainer change

Old 03-26-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 valve stem seal spring missing after retainer change

On my 2001 AP1 I just completed replacing the valve stem retainers to avoid potential problems with cracked retainers. My AP1 had 40k miles on it when I bought it (70k now) so I considered it be a worthy effort just in case some mechanical over revving had occurred in its previous life. I found that all 8 intake retainers where un-cracked, but oh well, it's done now.

In the process I noticed that one of the valve stem seal springs (a small circular spring that looks like a washer but seems to be intended to fit around the top of the valve stem seal) was loose and riding on the stem itself.

I also found another one that was lying off of the stem, after I removed the valve spring (presumably I some how lifted it of), and I picked it up out of the head, not knowing what it was.

I failed to investigate further at the time as I was focused on swapping those retainers, and I completed the job and put it all back together.

So, at this point, I know that on at least one valve, the stem seal spring is dislodged (and was probably dislodged before I started the process) and that on one other valve, the stem seal spring is missing completely because it is on my work bench.

I really, really, really don't want to take the valve springs off again, so I'm considering just leaving it as is.

My thought is that if I see some smoking (particularly on decel?) I will know that I need to resolve, but if I don't, then the car is fine for the time being at least.

What do you think? Is my approach reasonable? or a recipe for failure?

Thanks!

Matt
Old 03-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Are you talking about the stem seal's spring in photo?

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mab...=0&w=221&h=167

Believe these help control rate of oil distribution to the valve stems. You may get too much flow without the springs. May lead to excessive oil lost, esp in high vacuum situations. Like deceleration using gearing and engine to slow car down.

I've never replaced these seals without these springs, in any engine that used them. So, don't know for sure.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:39 PM

Yes that is the spring I mean, the circular spring around the neck of the rubber seal
Old 03-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by spokane2k
Yes that is the spring I mean, the circular spring around the neck of the rubber seal
Well... the manufacturers put them there for a reason... just saying...

Old 03-27-2016, 10:23 AM

A friend advised that I won't see smoke due to using synthetic oil but I may see increased oil consumption as a worst case scenario.

I think I will just take the risk and run it as is. I think there is a good probability I already have one or more dislodged stem seal springs which would explain why I already use about half a quart per 1000 miles.

If oil usage goes up dramatically or if I notice increased plug fouling, I will have to reconsider!

I'll post an update in a week or so, assuming my motor is not destroyed by then. I'll post that update if it happens too!

Presumably the long term effect of this that I will need to change my valve stem seals sooner rather than later.

I do think that a general recommendation should be made to change the valve stem seals anytime a person Is changing the valve stem retainers!

What do you think?
Old 03-27-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

And this is why replacing perfectly good AP1 retainers as "preventative maintenance" is a bad idea. You are no better off now than you were before, in fact worse off and you spent $ and time to get to this point.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

If you were concerned enough about the CHANCE of a bad retainer, I can't understand why you are ok leaving things as is now.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The spring is there to keep tension between the seal and stem. I suspect without it it would let oil by. If the engine has any kind of miles on it, they should be replaced while you are there...given the aggravation it takes to get to that point.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

So you will go through all that work to fix something that is not wrong, but you won't do the work to fix something that is obviously wrong.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
So you will go through all that work to fix something that is not wrong, but you won't do the work to fix something that is obviously wrong.
Yeah, I agree. This thread makes no sense whatsoever...

Quick Reply: AP1 valve stem seal spring missing after retainer change