S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 valve retainer advice

Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 valve retainer advice

Quick background story
I recently purchased my first S2000 (AP1) about a month ago, I haven't been driving it very often because I also own a Civic that I daily drive, so whenever I drive the S2000, I drive it pretty hard, once it gets warm out again I plan to do quite a few auto cross events with it, which leads up to my question

The engine sounds and performs beautifully, practically new, like I said I've been driving it pretty hard, not staying outside of VTEC, but I'm wondering if I should be safe and replace the valve retainers with the AP2 ones? I plan on taking the valve cover off very soon to inspect the retainers and if I don't see any damage, would you guys still recommend replacing them? The previous owner assured me that he never over-revved or anything like that, and I really take his word for it because he was a very genuine, honest person with me, and he also owned the car for the past 50k miles, mileage is currently at 88k

Sorry for the not so quick story but if anyone could give me some advice or shine some light on this subject, it would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have read on these boards, it takes a VERY trained eye to see retainer damage on these cars. There can even be minor cracking that can't be seen without removal. If you were to see ANY red flags though (any cracks, divots, indentations) of even 1 of them... I would replace all of them (personally, but that may be just me). They're super cheap and in order to actually inspect all of them you would have to take them out anyways to see any damage properly.

Do a search and you will find some very good pictures from some knowledgeable members of what a bad or compromised retainer looks like.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 AM

Do the swap, especially if you're going to autocross/track it. The potential for a down shift over rev or money shift is pretty high. The ap2 retainers can take way more abuse.

Really, the idea of going with ap2's is kind of a no brainer. Plus they are cheap.

If it were me, I'd schedule it alongside a valve job and compression test if you have the tools. The compression test isn't necessary, but personally I like having that baseline to track wear over the course of ownership and a little piece of mind that you have a sound motor.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am the type of guy that goes by the old saying "better safe than sorry" so I don't know why I even had to ask, but it's nice to have confirmation
Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 AM

I say if you have the knowhow to do it yourself without removing the head then do it because it's cheap. If you don't know how I'd say just keep an eye on them most likely you're fine but it will be expensive for a shop because they will want to remove the head.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

If it hasn't been over-reved and you don't over-rev they will be fine! People that miss shift EVEN ONCE can put your engine in danger.

I plan to never replace mine unless I over-rev. My last '00 engine made it to 112K no issues.(replaced due to spun bearing) New engine was inspected very carefully and will check again over the winter but it should be fine. I though could definitely agree with 03suzuka...S2000
Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm at 297,000 miles with the original retainers. I have never missed a shift. I plan on going a fair amount longer before replacing the intake retainers and keepers.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
I'm at 297,000 miles with the original retainers. I have never missed a shift. I plan on going a fair amount longer before replacing the intake retainers and keepers.
This. ^^^^ 297,000 F20C is amazing. Just shows the durability of these motors. I have 147k on mine and the retainers are being replaced as we speak just for piece of mind as I autocross regularly too. I have no idea of the condition of them until the shop calls me back. I have owned the car since 89k and have tons of documented service records from the previous owner. I feel it's a good mod to add to the durability and reliability of our cars.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

if the retainers look fine, dont worry about it.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
Wow that is amazing and congrats to you sir, did you ever do any sort of events with your car? Track days or auto-x events?

Quick Reply: AP1 valve retainer advice